Pregnant women and giving birth

limbo

Just curious how many of you guys went to birth training sessions with your Thai or Asian wifes.

No breathing techniques were practised here in Samui and two babies were delivered without too much hassle.

I was allowed in the delivery room with the first born but for the second one I had to wait outside and consequently an hour earlier than predicted by the doctor, the second born popped out and when we asked if Khun T clohd leo, it was affirmative and my first glimpses were through a glass window.

Why is it in the West people make such a big deal out of it? Or am i missing something?

I think many women think it _ IS _ a great deal ;):D

We don't have these, or at least I don't know of it, breathing techniques classes here either. Have only seen it in Amercian sit com shows really.

I were with my wife when she had her baby and I'm glad it's her and not me.

Women have be giving birth since the biginning of time and have never needed breathing classes. I have looked for lamas classes but as far as I am concerned they are not available in Thailand.

I really dont like the fact that the government hospitals dont allow the father in the delivery room. So if you want to go in you have to pay the 30K for a private hospital. Seems unnecessary if the birth is expected to be normal.

Hi WYD,

Both our children were born in government hospitals, with the first one I was allowed in since there was no other women around about to deliver.

With the second one there were 2 other women about to deliver together with my missus, so consequently I wasn't allowed in.

AF16's remark is spot on, it's glad them delivering and not us.

As for the breathing classes stuff and all around it, i never understood it and am glad I didn't have to go through it.

Guest lazyphil

Never went to any breathing classes and all that nonsense, mrs said 'for what?' (the thought of going to a class full of people learning to breath was grim ::)....my sister was the midwife at the birth ( :o) and she said very seldom does she attend a birth (many hundreds) a woman make little fuss/noise/swearing etc during child birth (the English have nothing on the Thais when it comes to stiff upper lip!!)--I was allowed in the delivery room, unforgetable experience!!

Hi LP,

Definitely. Both our boys were born in the west. And I never expected myself to be so emotional about it as I turned out to be. Definitely turned out to be one of the biggest moments of my life much to my surprise.

breathing classes ?
What the **** for? Quote of the missus. :o

Which by the way reminds me of the story about my wife`s birth.

Her mum was kinda old at the time when carrying her last child: 42 years, had 8 kids already and on the day of the delivery she went off to harvest rice along with the rest of the crew as usual. Soon she felt the contractions, went home, gave birth to my wife on her own and when everyone returned from the paddy fields, dinner was ready !

They just don`t make `em like that anymore.

Incidentally my wife was named Taem, as her mum wasn`t expecting anymore kids due to her high age. Taem meaning a complimentary gift as if you buy a VCR and get a tape thrown in for free.

I am rambling here and straying a long way from the subject, sorry guys. :(

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Cheers

Hua Nguu

I've never given birth myself... although after a dodgy vindaloo one night in norf lunden... that's another story.

A female friend of mine says it helps... a bit. Although AFAIK she only did it for her second, which I imagine would be easier anyway... Easy for us (guys) to speculate, we're off "wetting the baby's head" rather than "shitting a watermelon" - with razorblades on it.

Guest lazyphil

Well a good friend of mine married to a English gal had a sprog a year ago, no way he said was he going to how to breathe lessons, she wasn't interested either. The west hasn't gone totally mad just yet!...

Archived