Scuba Diving

asiafun

There are several active divers on the board (there is a long thread in the sports section). The poster "limbo" is the ranking diver on the board, and I am sure he will post up in this thread.

You can certainly learn in either place. I learnt in Pattaya. It is (In my opinion) both a good and a bad place to learn. The conditions tend to be pretty crappy in the water, but, if you can dive there, most places in Thailand tend to be better to actually dive in. Pattaya of course has the nightlife, but so does phuket. However, there are many places besides those two to learn. Koh Samui and Koh Tao come to mind. I have dived several times off Koh Tao, and the water there is GREAT. Koh Tao is a pretty serious dive place with a dive/backpacker mix. Cheaper than either phuket or pattaya, but more basic and the nightlife is, depending upon your style non-existent (girls) or great (very chemical, shall we say). There are many, many dive shops there so prices tend to be competitive.

I suppose on balance I would choose whether I wanted serious diving (koh Tao, samui), or a mix of nightlife (girl) and diving (pattaya). Can't really say too much about phuket, as not dived off there, only on live aboards out of there which is a different ball game.

Eitherway, its a great hobby, and Thailand is a good place to learn.

-j-

Hi Asiafun,

Diving in Phuket is good, but seasonal, you gotta wait till oct/nov berore the season picks up again over there.

Our member Racha owns a dive shop off Phuket on a small island named Koh Racha. No nightlife there.

Phuket does has nightlife, but somehow diving and nightlife don't mix together too well.

Pattaya, Koh Samui and Koh Tao have diving pretty much al year round. The Gulf in which all 3 places are located is not as much affected by the monsoon as Phuket or the whole westcoast (Krabi, Koh Lanta, Phi Phi, Khao Lak).

The Gulf is not that great in nov/dec, slighlty better in jan/feb and really good in general from april to october.

As laready mentioned, Koh Tao is probably the cheapest place in Thailand but no nightlife.

The best mix IMHO is Koh Samui, good enough nightlife for a couple of days and good enough diving.

If you would like names of reputable shops in certain places you wish to visit, PM me and I will help you out.

Stay wet!

Archived