kee nah

Dexi

Just a suggestion:

Could it possibly be "kii-niao" instead, meaning "cheap with money" / "stingy"?

I've never heard "kii-naa". Kii-naa would mean "the dirt of the face" rather than "shit-face", like kii-huu meaning earwax or kii-muuk meaning snot/booger. Shit-face would rather be naa-kii (the modifier, in this case another noun rather than an adjective, is placed after the noun it modifies).

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

G.

whosyourdaddy said:

Yes, Key could be shit or the verb to ride.

This would, however, make little sense as a negative remark (ride the face/front?). "naa" could also mean "aunt", "a field" or "thick", depending on the tone (high, mid, and rising tone, respectively). This, I suppose, would not make much sense either.

I_hear_Lee, any idea about the tone of each syllable?

G.

Heard this in a couple of songs,one by Sek + Bird " gup krai kon nan tee chun mai chorb kee nah " and Dtoy muak dairg ( cant remember the words but is used similarly ).kee and nah both have falling tones,nah is spelled as in face.

I_hear_Lee said:

Heard this in a couple of songs,one by Sek + Bird " gup krai kon nan tee chun mai chorb kee nah " and Dtoy muak dairg ( cant remember the words but is used similarly ).kee and nah both have falling tones,nah is spelled as in face.

Here's another song, in which the chorus also contains the words "kee naa":

http://www.ethaimusic.com/lyrics/323.htm

The chorus says (see the link for Thai script):

gor dai dtae bork hai ter jong leum kao bai

ying gliat KEE NAA kao dai yaang nun gor ying dee

which translates to:

All I can tell you is just to forget him.

Try to hate him, it would be very nice if you can do it.

I think I understand everything except the "kee naa" part (I think "shit-face" can be excluded, though).

But maybe it helps you more than it helped me...

With respect to your own example: "...that person who I don't like (kee naa)". Again, I don't get the "kee naa" part...

Sorry, this probably doesn't help you the least bit...

G.

Golyadka, that song cleared it up for me! Thanks.

I_hear_Lee, you did not get the whole phrase. That is why I was struggling with this. What was likely said was "gliat kee naa" which is slang-y for "I do not want to see your face!" or more directly "I hate you!" Kee naa by itelf really does not mean anything.

Regards,

SD

suadum said:

Golyadka, that song cleared it up for me! Thanks.

I_hear_Lee, you did not get the whole phrase. That is why I was struggling with this. What was likely said was "gliat kee naa" which is slang-y for "I do not want to see your face!" or more directly "I hate you!" Kee naa by itelf really does not mean anything.

Regards,

SD

Ok, this is getting clearer to me now...

gor dai dtae bork hai ter jong leum kao bai

All I can tell you is just to forget him.

ying gliat kee naa kao dai yaang nun gor ying dee

Try to hate him, it would be very nice if you can do it.

So, first she's adviced to forget him, and then she's adviced to go on hating him. "Aren't the two mutually exclusive?", I thought at first.

But "gliat-kee-naa" (or in I_hear_Lee's case "mai-chorp-kee-naa") really cannot have the strict meaning of "to hate", rather it must have the more abstract meaning of "to wish to avoid the sight/presence of".

So, a more correct translation of the second sentence would be "the more you try to avoid him, the better"... Then it makes sense to me...

G.

I think we`re getting somewhere near a good translation ...also now I remember another time it was used...a friend`s GF said to him " yahk glup bahn,beua kee nah koon "...I would translate this as " I want to go home,I`m sick of the sight of you ".So perhaps we could say it means the " look of " or " appearance of someone...

Archived