seven years in prison for copping a feel?

sanukdee

While I do think this man's actions were highly inappropriate, I also think seven years is a bit harsh.

<<<Man jailed for molesting sleeping woman on plane

Aug 5, 10:38 AM (ET)

BOSTON (Reuters) - A business executive was sentenced on Thursday to seven years in prison for sexually assaulting a sleeping woman seated next to him on a Delta Air Lines flight from Dallas to Boston.

A statement from the U.S. Attorney for Massachusetts said that on April 5, Deepak Jahagirdar, 55, laid a blanket over the 22-year-old woman who was returning from a vacation, unfastened her seat belt, unbuttoned her pants and assaulted her by touching her genitals.

"The woman immediately pulled Jahagirdar's hand from her pants and fled to the rear of the aircraft where she reported the assault to the flight crew," it said.

The crew alerted four U.S. Secret Service Agents who were on board the flight, returning from an assignment in Texas.

The plane was met by state police in Boston but Jahagirdar briefly tried to escape by trying to flee in the walkway between the plane and the airport.

Skin cells taken from Jahagirdar, an Arizona man whom authorities said did not know the woman, showed a "significant quantity of the victim's DNA was present on his hands" after the incident, the statement said.

After his release, Jahagirdar must pay a $25,000 fine and be supervised by authorities for two years.>>>>

I also think seven years is a bit harsh.

---------------------------------------------

His behaviour and maybe defense probably played into the sentencing. the guy should have profusively apologized ASAP, pretexting he was sleeping too, just a shameful moment of total insanity he admits doing. Instead he tried to flee.

Violation of property and person is taken very hardly by courts in US. the principle seems to over-ride the amount. people are being taken out for life (3 strikes and you're out law), for stealing a bike. Some juries have voted non-guilty, in response to this type of foreseen unjust and cruel punishment.

In his case, let him learn.... he seems to originate from a country where some women are still no better than donkeys (india, Bangla desh, Pakistan?....), in the eyes of the male population.

Hi P127,

a 55 year old former health care executive, he immigrated from India 25 years ago, a hindu.

"U.S. District Judge Mark Wolf .... chastised Jahagirdar for lying when he testified at his trial that the woman initiated a sexual encounter with him. He also blasted Jahagirdar for failing to mention the victim or express any remorse when he asked for mercy before he was sentenced."

web page

elef

I don't think this guys country of birth is an issue really, most Indians I know - no ALL Indians I know, are complete gentlemen.. As are pretty much all I've met from that part of the world.

I agree the sentense is a bit harsh when compared with what some get away with (rapists down here have been out in less than 7 years), but there's no excuse for that kind of behaviour.

Hi Red,

at least P127 thought it had:

"In his case, let him learn.... he seems to originate from a country where some women are still no better than donkeys (india, Bangla desh, Pakistan?....), in the eyes of the male population."

From the citation I made you can see the federal judge didn't like the lying and not mentioning the victim or showing any remorse. This may be related to P127s theory.

elef

Archived