Buying Land - Sri Saket

khwaimaisabai

Hi guys,

GF has, through relatives, been offered 15 rai of land in rural Sri Saket. It is currently used for rice and this would continue under the supervision of brother in law.

The asking price is 350,000 baht. Does this look reasonable? .... very cheap? ..... outrageously expensive?

Anybody know anyhting about this?

Thanks.

Khwai

Kwai,

Asked Sis about this for you. She says if this is land near the city of Si Sa Ket (say one to two kilos away from the city, that then this is a good/great price actually, especially if it is near a highway or decent road system. BUT, if it is in the jungle or far away from Si Sa Ket than it is cheap because you cannot work the land easily and stay on the land while working it, and transport during growing and harvest can be a bitch. You say the brother-in-law will work it/run the land for you and the wife? Fine. She says that 15 rai near/in the city area in prime rice-growing area on a highway would go for maybe 8, 9, or even 10 million baht. (I believe this because I priced land in the Surin area before and I couldn't believe how damned expensive rice-growing land near town was. Very high prices really. How the hell they could justify these prices for land growing rice was beyond me I'll have to say.) Land can be very expensive around this area, especially good rice land. We are just down the road 105 kilometers from Si Sa Ket, an hour's drive or so. So, 350,000 baht is around 8,500 USD at current exchange rates. Sounds like a decent price ... depending. Is it land that the family lives on or near? Prices around here can be nuts really. So ... how "rural" is rural? :)

Cent

Hi,

one more short comment more - if it's beside a road in a very rural area the príce of land can be 10 times higher than inside.

I know some new land prices in a village NW Buriram city and closer to KK. 10 rais far away from the road 400 k, 3 rais at best location 3 millions but that included a nice house.

elef

khwaimaisabai said:

Hi guys,

GF has, through relatives, been offered 15 rai of land in rural Sri Saket. It is currently used for rice and this would continue under the supervision of brother in law.

The asking price is 350,000 baht. Does this look reasonable? .... very cheap? ..... outrageously expensive?

Anybody know anyhting about this?

Thanks.

Khwai

o.k. how Noi can say for U? maybe som1 kno U c U coming Khun farang mut to be careful abut bye a lnd for lady. Noi tell a same stry many time also to a cutomer BoyFrend U mut to B vely carful for this bye land O.k. Noi tell U hope U ok not hab the pablam.

Hi,

Like others have already said, it depends a lot on location (access to roads and access to water!). If it is on a main road with good access to water I'd say it is probably a good price.

If on the other hand it is somewhere a bit deep into the fields then I'd say it is too expensive.

Really, it is too difficult to tell though without more knowledge of its location.

What do the GF and her family think of the price?

Sanuk!

Some good points brought up here from Noi as well, if you can understand what the hell she is saying. :D

Yep, be careful when buying land. It is a prime way to scam money off a farang who cannot read Thai. Personally I don't think I'd do this for a girlfriend unless I was very serious and we were intending to marry, then maybe.

And yes, making a holding pond for water on part of the land if there is not easy access to water is a very good idea, and really not that expensive to do. Or even just to make extra income raising fish for selling. Easy to do, and the fish food is fairly cheap as well.(My best Thai friend and neighbor here in Surin has a company and equipment and does exactly that, makes holding ponds and fish farms around the area. So if you need/want to do this let me know. I can at least get general prices on doing this so you would know the costs involved.)

Cent

KS and Kwai,

"What do the GF and her family think of the price?"

Whadda they care? They ain't paying for it! :) And likely they'll be buying the land off other family or friends (and receiving a cut of the profits as well) for GF.

Personally I'd want to know exactly who owned the land, see the land ownership papers, get them translated (a copy of them) into English at a translation service in Bangkok, before I'd consider it. Just to see if this is on the up and up and not some family trying to transfer land from themselves to the GF for an inflated price for a quick cash injection into the family coffers. Another basic scam on this would be to sell the land to GF, and have B-in-law "manage" the land by actually renting it to others to farm. They then charge a percentage of the rice grown for others using/farming the land and sell this to get cash (likely not telling GF the actual amounts either) and skimming off the top some of the money made doing this "management" of the land. Another thing is to have GF (if the land is even actually in her name) later "borrow" money from the bank equal to the worth of the land, using the land as collateral for the loan. If the money is then not repayed to the bank the bank repossesses the land. Double dipping and receiving twice the money for the land involved really. They also do not even have to go to a bank to do this. They get a "loan" from a prosperous Thai and give him/them the land papers to hold until it is paid off.

I would be careful about this Kwaimaisabai. Lots of wheeling and dealing goes on like this. The only one who usually loses is the original moneyman ... Mr. Farang.

Not saying your GF and her family aren't on the up and up Kwai. Just telling you some of the ways this can be scammed for yours and others knowledge here on the board if you don't already know or have heard of this stuff. I'm usually a bit suspicious and sceptical over these generous "deals" offered and mentioned to a farang. Someone is going to profit, and it usually isn't Khun Farang. ::

Sorry if I sound a bit cynical today.

:dunno::shhh::cover:

Cent

p.s. Never pay the asking price if you do buy. Bargain hard. It is expected, and the asking price usually inflated well over the true asking price and amount they'd settle for. It would also help for the GF to find out why the land is being sold. (There's usually a bill that needs paying quickly for one reason or another.) That would help you in your bargaining as well possibly. Knowledge is power! :)

Archived