Henna Tattoos

Crash999

A couple of weeks ago a friend and I decided to get some of those tacky henna tattoos we always see people walking around with in Pattaya. We picked a couple of small designs and the girls painted them on our arms for us.

My friend finished his first and complained a bit about a burning sensation, though I didn't feel anything.

The tattoo stayed on for a good week in pretty much the same state as it was painted on, but has now started fading away and looks terrible.

The problem is that my friend showed me his arm a couple of days ago and where his tattoo was looked burned and scarred. His skin is all red and raised in what looks like an allergic reaction. I haven't checked to see if it has improved but it looked positively awful a couple of days ago.

So a word of caution- It's possible to have an allergic reaction to the tattoos and it'd be difficult to know before-hand if you would have a problem. Thus you might want to think twice if you consider having one painted on.

Cheers!

Being known as "Khun Sa-tikaa" in a few bars, I can heartily recommend the use of (water-soluble) instant tattoos. No (unwanted) skin irritation for any party involved. Get them...if you can find cool ones.

Henna can cause a light skin irritation in some people, but it's very rare. More likely, the stuff used was coloured with Phenylenediamine to create 'black Henna'. Phenylenediamine is toxic and can cause severe skin irritations. Stick to the pure (red-brown) henna, like people in India have done for centuries and there should be no pronlem.

Infection from Henna tattoos is becoming quite prevalent.It was mentioned as a warning

by the Australian Foreign Affairs Dept after

some people got infected in Bali.Apparently

the tattooists were using petrol to dry out

the henna more quickly,thus putting petrol

under your skin.

Archived