Lasik eye operation?

drlensman

Hi folks,

according to their website, Bumrungrad hospital on Soi4 features a bargain offer on lasik at the moment. Anyone of you residents can maybe fill me in about their reputation or maybe even know someone who has undergone the procedure there. From all I know about them, the place is very good and reliable and the doctors have all had a very good education. I'd be grateful for any details, as I am planning to have the surgery done in mid June.

Cheers

lensman

I'm not aware that Bumrungrad would be closing down; it is a highly respected private hospital here well known for general healthcare as well as plastic/elective surgeries.

I know that Yahnhee is also well known - I'd suggest a price check between the two.

I personally have had lasik surgery, and would highly recommend it; but then again, I had no problems. I don't think it is a particuarly difficult operation.

I would ask:

- how many times has my doctor performed the operation

- what are the chances of failure, and remedies if something goes wrong

- how much

- will the staff be speaking english

Also it hurts like you won't believe for about 2 days, so you might want to consider overnight at the hospital - should be about 5000 baht a night for everything (food, nurses, etc, the works).

Check it out; both hospitals are on the web, not sure of URLs though. try search engine like sanook.com if you can read tHAI.

One question EVERY patient should ask !!

Peter has provided an excellent response, and as I have no familiarity with the hospitals in Bangkok, I can't comment on that aspect either ...

BUT ... add THIS 2 PART QUESTION to you list:

What are worldwide/national/local (whichever you wish to know) complication rates?

AND

What is your YOUR complication rate doctor?

This way you will know how he stacks up against the "average". In America, doctors are required to answer this question if asked and no doctor worth going to would be offended by a patient asking it !!

AND ... EVERY PATIENT, regardless of your IQ, should take a WRITTEN LIST of questions with them when they go see the doctor. Otherwise, even if you're genius yourself, you WILL FORGET to ask something.

Finally ... remember, the doctor is YOUR employee ... you're paying him, so don't be afraid to ask for what you want !!

[ May 17, 2001: Message edited by: tc4rob ]

Went there last year to get more information. The doctor thorougly inspected my eyes and advised me not to do it, because he predicted that otherwise I would need glasses again in 3/4 years for reading purpose. I have respect for a doctor in a private hospital who send his own 'turnover' out of the door with the advice not to do this.

I am nearsighted and have worn glasses all of my adult life, so occassionally I have looked into eye surgery. As it turns out, one of my friends has a girlfriend who used to assist doctors during eye operations in a clinic.

I had a long talk with her about this. Her advise was to: 1) don't cheap out on this - pay for the best, most experienced doctor that you can find. 2) as other posters have mentioned on this thread, check out the doctor's track record thoroughly!

The clinic she used to work in was a bit of a sweatshop - getting inexperienced doctors to do a high volume of operations at cut-rate prices. I was scary hearing how profit- oriented the clinic was, and the various corners they would cut. The conversation was a real eye-opener (OK, I know, dumb joke).

I know that medical procedures are cheaper in LOS than in the West, but disregard the cost factor - you sight is priceless. What would you life be like of you went into a a-go-go bar and couldn't check out the talent? If you want to get the surgery done, do the research first, and go with the best doctor you can find.

JG

Thanks everybody so far for the thorough replies.

I've been to BKK loads of times over the last 16 years and happen to be there in June anyway.So this is the reason I am looking into this option, not just the moneysaving aspect. I have read a few articles in magazines (not Thai) from journalists that had the surgery done in Bumrungrad and were very happy with the results. The hospital seems very professional, i.e. e-mail questions are answered within no time, they suggest a doctor immediately and you can have a look on his vita on their site and stay in touch with the person for further consultation and reassrance. From everything I have found out so far, they don't seem any worse than comparable places in Europe or the US. This forum is not the only place I am trying to gather information from, I just thought it's a good place to ask locals if they had any specific information about or experience with them.

My eyesight is holy to me, as I work as a webdesigner and photographer, I'd be more bummed than most people if anything only went slightly wrong.

So if anyone knows more, keep it coming, otherwise cheers for the feedback.

lensman

Working for a time as a Opto OR tech I have seen the military transgression in the various areas of Refractive Surgery. Lasik is one of the safest ways for you to correct the vision.

One of my GF's friends that she went to Thamasat with just had Lasik about 6 mos ago i saw her about 1 week post op and she had no comlplications aside from a sensitivity to light( same as I had except I had PRK).

I myself have been happy with the results of my correction but wish i could have waited for lasik

Archived