- Saint Louis Hospital

- Samitivej Hospital

- Saraburi Hospital

- Somdejrachathevee Na Sriracha Hospital

- Srisiam Hospital

- Thonburi Hospital

- Vejsawad Hospital

- Vichaiyut Hospital

I had eyesight correction performed a few years ago using the excimer laser - a precursor to the lasik.

A couple of points based on my experience. (I don't know if this still applies to lasik.)

When my eye was lasered, they intentionally over-corrected it. Apparently as your eye heals, some of the correction is reversed, and if they have done their assessment correctly, it ends up at 20/20 vision.

However, I turned out to be an 'aggressive healer', and my eye over-corrected itself, meaning that my eyesight was improved by about fifty percent, but still wasn't good enough not to require glasses - for me that was unacceptable. At which point they whipped out the small print and said that they had performed the operation according to the papers I had signed, and tough luck.

This was not a fly-by-night operation, but the BUPA hospital in U.K.

I made quite a fuss, and they eventually agreed to do it again. On the second occasion it worked perfectly. To be honest, I think they miscalculated the first time.

So my one bit of advice would be to check whether they guarantee a result, and what happens if that doesn't occur.

The second thing I would say, is that in the end I only ever corrected one eye.

It seemed to make sense to me to leave a year in between doing each eye, just to be sure that there weren't complications.

In that time, I got used to having one perfect, corrected, eye, and one fucked eye.

I asked if it would do me any damage or cause headaches to have two eyes with totally different sight, and was told not.

So, if you are hesitant, just get one done.

Paul

High everybody.

I just wanted to weigh in with my two cents on Lasix. I practice optometry in the states and have seen a few horrible post surgical results from people that have had refractive surgery done overseas to save a few bucks. None of the refractive procedures I have seen were done in Thailand though.

There are a few considerations to keep in mind. Studies show that the surgeon should have about 600 procedures under his belt or he is still in the learning mode. Let him get his experience on someone else.

It is very important that a thorough work-up be done to determine if you are a good canidate. Some of the considerations include the size of the pupil in the dark and light and the thickness of the cornea realitive to the refractive error. It is very important that the correct parameters be entered to the laser's computer otherwise garbage in, garbage out.

Be very careful of anyone that promises 20/20 (6/6) vision. Most reputable surgeons will promise you something that is called "driving or bathroom vision" where you should be able to drive or get up in the middle of the night to use the head without looking for your glasses. Most of them will get you very close to 20/20 but you may need specs at night. Also be aware that reading the 20/20 line is not the ultimate judge of a successful operation. There have been a lot of individuals that have been corrected to 20/20 and have had problems with glare, dry eyes or halos yet the operation was deemed a success because the patients read the lines below 20/40 which was the only criteria for success.

Another thing to discus is the fee if an enhancement is needed. Over time your eyes may change and another laser procedure may be required, do you have to pay full price or does the intial fee cover all future enhancements.

I tried to keep it short and there is a lot more info that I could go into if any one is interested. The risks are very slight (in the US anyway). Almost everyone experience post operative problems like dry eyes or glare that resolve over 3 to 6 months. I would be hesitant to recommended to anyone to have the procedure done overseas, but then I turned down the offer from a first rate ophthalmologist to do it for free in the US.

quote:

Originally posted by jbay:

I thought Bumrungrad hospital was closing down due to lack of money.

jbay

I think the Bumrungrad hospital that closed down and that you are referring to is the one that was in Pataya or maybe Rayong. I was told by Thai friends that it no longer had an affiliation with the Bangkok Bumr. Hospital and it had gone thru bankruptcy.

The BKK Bumr. Hosp is excellent in my opinion. I have been there twice-- once for bronchitis and once for hearing test. Results were very good, service all in English, prices damn cheap (vs US).

For bronchitis was prescribed 5 different meds for 5 days and by day two was feeling 100% better. The MD had worked in US and taught at a US Med school he told me. Cost of 5 differnt prescriptions and visit with MD was about 1300 baht or about $30.

The hearing test was also fine. They said I was borderline as far as needing them and suggested some brands (Widex a Danish hearing aid maker). AM still comparing prices with the US but think that the price is about 1/2 and am told that the unit would be serviceable under warranty around the world. Price of 2 hearing tests (one for ear pitch tones, etc and one to check the inner ear nerve) was 900 baht or about $20.

I have intentions of going to their dental clinic for teeth cleaning next month and stopped by to talk to them. They use current standard sterilization methods and I was impressed. I was told that dentists do the teeth cleaning in Thailand vs US where a dental technician does the cleaning.

I like Bumr. Hosp and it is the only hosp. I have been in that has some great restaurants, a Starbucks, McDonalds, etc. I also likethe food court there as it was very clean. I know that the hosp.was written up in the NY or LA times several years ago as being a first class hospital. Hope this helps

Lasik surgery is still a very new science. Regressions for the surgery cuts are being refined all the time. I would make sure my surgeon is actively on the forefront of this research with a very active practice with scheduled follow-up. Follow-up care is essential to head off any potential complications.

<<burp>>

Well, I had it done. At Bumrungrad. Back in March of this year. Set it all up by email. No problems.

I had worn glasses since I was 7 years old. Very nearsighted, very astigmatic. Started with contacts when I was 17.

The good:

The hospital is truly world-class. I can see very well without my glasses. The cost was substantially less than it would have been in the US. There was some stinging about an hour after the surgery, and it lasted for about an hour. But it wasn't anywhere like the heebie-jeebie, gotta-rub-my-eyes-right-now sort of discomfort I was worried about having to endure.

The bad:

The equipment is not the most state-of-the-art, but it is very good. Maybe that won't be important in your case, but if you are pushing the envelope, it might be a factor. As a computer programmer, I plan on getting contacts next month. I had worn contacts for 15 years, and I miss the crispness I had with them. I would say my vision is somewhere between what I had with glasses, and what I had with contacts. Vision for a week or so after surgery is not the best. As I was vacationing in Pattaya, that meant that I couldn't make out the numbers on the dancers in the back, and some faces got much less virtuous once I called them over and got a good look at them.

For what it's worth, there are a lot of LASIK centers in BKK now, it's just a pity that they don't have a presence on the web. Since I was scheduling it via the web, I only knew about Bumrungrad. If you have the time/inclination, you might want to just go to BKK and shop around--there might be some more advanced places out there, and some better prices. (On note-If you wear contacts, you should discontinue them for 6 weeks minimum prior to the procedure, don't just expect to walk in pop 'em out, and get all lasered up.)

Feel free to email me if you have any specific questions, or want me to elaborate.

Archived