bkk air pollution

do any bkk residents suffer allergies related to the poor air quality in bangkok? each year after winter is done (around late december) i have terrible allergies- i'm sure they are air pollution related because when i head to hua hin or phuket, i clear up in a day or two- any others experience similar health problems??

[ June 26, 2001: Message edited by: tanha ]

Originally posted by tanha:

Just read the newspapers more regularly. From time to time there is a report about the number of people who have healthproblems, mainly respiratory ones, due to the pollution in Bangkok with estimates about the cost to society. I do not remember the figures, but it is between 10 and 30% of the population that has this kind of problem.

bar prices etc.

Some people always seem to have a headache when in Bangkok, not when they're anywhere "upcountry".

Research showed that the air pollution in Chinatown affected the brain development of children living there (sorry, I mentioned this already in the Chinatown thread); I just read that it knocks off 7 points from their IQ. I guess that explains all those students reading cartoons ...

I have an almost perpetual sore throat when living in BKK which always seems to get better on trips to Pattaya. It's just lovely sometimes to stare off my apartment balcony and look at the skyline through the disgusting brown haze. It's a trade off I guess, I like the comforts of the big city or I would live in Pattaya.

Ranger

I used to get a cough for about 4-5 days when first arriving. I always put it down to air quality on the flight. Never seem to get it going back to UK so I guess it must be the first few days of BKK air.

I remember reading somewhere that a high percentage of traffic cops have life threatening lung problems. I don't suppose the little masks they wear stop a great deal of the shit being breathed in anyway.

Originally posted by coquetislander:

"I remember reading somewhere that a high percentage of traffic cops have life threatening lung problems."

There was a high-profile case about two years ago of a traffic cop in Sathorn Rd. dying from lung cancer due to air pollution. I think the gauze masks the policemen wear only block out some dust - which is better than nothing, of course.

The good news (of sorts): Try Bombay, Delhi, Calcutta or Kathmandu. They're even much worse than Bangkok!

HI Scum!

Have you ever been to Dhaka? Much worse than Kathmandu, never been to India.

Dhaka was unbelievable, thousands of tuk-tuk like things, belching acrid black smoke out over the city, my eyes were streaming and the smell was awful.

Originally posted by coquetislander:

[QB]HI Scum!

"Have you ever been to Dhaka? Much worse than Kathmandu, never been to India.

Dhaka was unbelievable, thousands of tuk-tuk like things, belching acrid black smoke ..."

I've been there, but the last time must have been more than ten years ago. On that trip, they tried to rob me twice in broad daylight and I haven't felt the urge to go back. I always smile when I remember Bangladesh's (then) tourism promotion slogan, "Visit Bangladesh before the tourists come!" Well, don't hurry too much, the tourists won't come in a long, long while.

Actually, every major city on the Indian Subcontinent is terribly polluted - Ahmedabad, Baroda, Bangalore, Karachi, and (to a lesser extent) Colombo, etc., etc. Imagine if they become more prosperous and can afford more cars, ...

When I first arrive in BKK I usually get mildly sore, stinging eyes for about a day, not so bad I need medical attention or anything but a little uncomfortable. The first time I ever came to BKK it was worst, subsequent trips are not as bad. After about 24 hours it always clears up completely.

I've never had this problem anywhere else in LOS. If I lived there it might be a serious concern, but there's not really a lot you can do to effectively help yourself, short of moving out of the city.

• 2 weeks later...

Tanha,

Yes I get allergies. I try Zirtek and a couple of others but sometimes nothing touches it. Sneezing, watery eyes, the full nine yards.

BKK is badly polluted and so is Pattaya but to a lesser extent.

I find that a few days after arriving the allergies, sore throats start to develop.

But sometimes you have to suffer for your art...

Archived