Ladies of the night are a big nuisance

Chlp

In Bangkok Post Postbag for Friday, Sep 16, 2005, Eric Bahrt writes:

Ladies of the night are a big nuisance

It was hard not to laugh out loud when I read on the front page of the Pattaya Today newspaper (Sept 1-16 issue) that the deputy mayor of Pattaya said he's going to get all the prostitutes off Beach Road. If you believe that then you probably believe in Santa Claus!

While I don't mind the prostitutes who work on Beach Road during the daytime, at night the most vile, disgusting, aggressive and ugly whores in the world - who often aren't even women - take over the street.

While it's bad enough that no respectable person can any longer walk along the beach at night, the prostitutes now cross the street to bother innocent people on the other side who are just trying to walk home.

The other night around 7pm, I was walking home when a lady-man on the beach side of Beach Road crossed the street and stepped right in front of me, blocking my path. I told him I wasn't interested and I walked around him. He then picked up a stone, threw it at me and hit me in the back.

The next night I was walking down the same street when a female prostitute crossed the road and jumped right in front of the man walking behind me.

Although the man was big and burly, I heard him cry out, "Please leave me alone."

These disgusting degenerates are waging war against us and there is nothing we can do about it. For example, a friend of mine was walking down Beach Road when a lady-man grabbed his testicles. When my friend fought back, the lady-man got the police and my friend was arrested!

The police are doing nothing to protect us from these degenerates who are openly attacking us in the streets. But if we defend ourselves we're the ones who get thrown in jail.

And then the local politicians and local journalists have the nerve to blame the international media for Pattaya's well deserved reputation for being one of the sickest and most perverted places on Earth.

ERIC BAHRT

Pattaya

Dear Eric:

I must take an issue with with your article published in Bangkok Post on Sep 16.

I am a member of the largest non-goverment organization in the world, Mongers without Borders. Our goal is to tackle poverty worldwide. Let me tell you about our work in Thailand.

We have no fancy offices and we have no highly paid administrators. Every Baht we spend goes directly to the beneficiaries. We contribute to a variety of needs among the most needy and underpriviledged. We fund construction of new housing, mostly in the poorest areas of Isaan. We help pay off loan sharks; when a buffalo breaks a leg we're there to help; when a mother needs to go to the hospital we'll give what it takes. Most importantly, we are attacking the root cause of poverty and we help to pay for education of many who otherwise could not afford to go to schoon.

To those of us who proudly participate in this great social program, it is extremely offensive when you call our beneficiaries "ugly whores" and "disgusting degenerates." I consider myself a respectable person--yet, I've never had any problems walking on the Beach Road - "Rocky Horror Picture Show," as some of my colleagues affectionately call it - any time day or night. And, trust me, I spend a lot of time here. It is moving to see people from all nations leave their differences behind and come together is search of a common goal. Christians, Buddhists, and Muslims, Germans and the French, Americans and Arabs, all together in peace and harmony.

Yes, there are times when the Beach Road workers are over-enthusiastic in offering their services. But who can blame them, especially now that they are suffering a seasonal drop in donations. You seem incensed that some of these people whom you abhore are even allowed to cross the street! What's next? We round them up and lock them up? Send them to Gitmo? Make them watch as we flush Koran down the toilet? Why do I have a feeling that you are one of those hateful mean-spirited sexists, rasists, bigots, and homophobes who listen to Rush Limbaugh and applaud Bush when he blows up the levees in New Orleans.

You complain about being physically confronted. I'm not buying any of it. This sort of thing just doesn't happen in Thailand. It's not for nothing that it's called a "Land of Smiles." It's a nation of gentle and peaceful people who would never harm another without provocation. When farang are attacked, they're just getting what's coming to them.

Today you're complaining about the prostitues. What are you going to compain about tomorrow? About the Beach Road sidewalk that's been torn up for the past six years? About double pricing by the Pattaya baht buses? About having to report to Immigration every 90 days? About being scammed on a daily basis? You seem to forget that you're just a guest in this country. What gives you the right to criticise Thais?

Last but not least, given your obvious dislike of the best that Pattaya has to offer, I'd be curious to know why do you choose to live in what you consider to be "one of the sickest and most perverted places on Earth"?

Chlp,

Don't know what makes you react the way you do.

I do happen to know a few katoeys pretty well and they're very nice persons, but that doesn't mean that a few of there fellow katoeys are just a big pain in the butt and do hassle people for no reason at all.

Here in Samui, where I live is a similar problem, especially after closing time of the bars. They follow you agressively on their bikes, just no fun.

Hi,

"You seem to forget that you're just a guest in this country. What gives you the right to criticise Thais?"

You make a couple of decent points and then you have to come up with this crap :(

Never fails to piss me off that jsut because one is a 'guest' (8 years, tax-paying) in this country one therefore is not allowed to voice any form of complaints. What a load of bullshit.

Sanuk!

Archived