How do you say '110'?

Chlp

Last night I was in room 110. I ask the receptionist for my key by saying 'neung neung soon.' She gave me the correct key and told me that I should be saying something that sounded like 'ton neung' or 'tang neung' (mid-tone the best I could tell). Sounds like something similar to saying double-A in English, instead of AA.

I've never heard this before. Can someone explain and also tell me how to say '110' and '111' using this expression?

Don't think so. You know how in the English language if you are staying in room 124 you don't say "I'm in room one hundred and twenty four", but rather say "I'm in room one two four". In my experience Thai's do it the same as us so Chlp called out the room correctly as far as I can see.

Perhaps a dialect might explain it--Chlp can you mention what city that was in? Sometimes Thai's like to teach you a word or two of their dialect for fun.

Neo said:

Perhaps a dialect might explain it--Chlp can you mention what city that was in? Sometimes Thai's like to teach you a word or two of their dialect for fun.

It was in Pattaya. Doesn't matter though, who knows where the receptionist was from...

Don't think so. You know how in the English language if you are staying in room 124 you don't say "I'm in room one hundred and twenty four", but rather say "I'm in room one two four". In my experience Thai's do it the same as us so Chlp called out the room correctly as far as I can see.

Agree - same as when I was calling Miss Red's apartment through a switchboard, since my Thai is crap, I said her name and the room number (ie 1-2-3 rather than onehundred and twenty three or whatever it was)

i have heard both for hotel room numbers and similars: roy-sip or nueng-nueng-soon

note that for 2 song can turn into tho, so 120 would be nueng-tho-soon

as for what chlb heard like 'ton neung' or 'tang neung' my best guess would be

chan nueng: first floor

krang nueng: once

daan: side, quarter

or tho nueng, but that would be 21! maybe she gave you her room number! :rolleyes:

samak said:

i have heard both for hotel room numbers and similars: roy-sip or nueng-nueng-soon

note that for 2 song can turn into tho, so 120 would be nueng-tho-soon

as for what chlb heard like 'ton neung' or 'tang neung' my best guess would be

chan nueng: first floor

krang nueng: once

daan: side, quarter

or tho nueng, but that would be 21! maybe she gave you her room number! :rolleyes:

Then maybe "tho nueng" meaning "say 'tho nueng soon' rather than 'nueng nueng soon'". "Tho nueng" meaning "two ones", "one one".

Chlp said:

Last night I was in room 110. I ask the receptionist for my key by saying 'neung neung soon.' She gave me the correct key and told me that I should be saying something that sounded like 'ton neung' or 'tang neung' (mid-tone the best I could tell). Sounds like something similar to saying double-A in English, instead of AA.

I've never heard this before. Can someone explain and also tell me how to say '110' and '111' using this expression?

"noung-roy-sip" or "roy-sip" in a short way

Archived