Questions about Bhuddist Tattoos

I read the post below with Bhuddist Tattoos/Photos

and it was fantastic. But I couldn't find any info on What are the differnt typs of the tattos and what they mean? Does anyone out there know where I can find info on the differnty types of tattoos, what hey look like and what they mean? What the cost would be or proper donation?

I would be very intersted in getting one from a Monk at a Temple.

any information would be greatly apprecaited!

Thanks again :beer:

If I may barge in, tattoes are not really tied directly to Buddhism, it's only because the religious make-up of thais (and others), is a mesh of Buddhism, animism and superstitions, that tattoes acquire potency in their beliefs.

Definitely a fascinating subject, and one that harks back to ancient times, the reason why the symbolism in it, is not just thai-related, but comes from a time when "religious" influences came from supra-nationalistic inputs. A lot of the characters used in these tattoes is khmer, to this day.

The brahmanic basis of early khmer buddhism has a lot to do with it, because it's a credo that is based on precise rituals and representations appealing directly to the Gods. Now, only brahmans know and practice rituals, like shamans.

So the idea is to have your body ritualised permanently, even though you are not to know all the significances and magic "know-how" that come with it. Not needed, because it was duly tattoed according to brahmanic rules, following yet another proprietary ritual.

I suppose for thais, the holiness of a monk tattoeing you, replaces that of a Shaman or a Brahman. It carries the right spell of authenticity.

That a monk, being a buddhist , is "not supposed" to adhere to animist beliefs is only of import to outsiders who read/think that "buddhism is...And is not....", or strict buddhists, of which many thais are not.

Archived