Think too much

One favourite expression of the bar girls is “think too much” as in “you think too much”. I’ve never heard other Thais saying this. I’m wondering if it’s a transliteration of a Thai expression.

I rather like the expression but don’t want to use it in ‘polite society’ if its exclusively bar girls talk...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by Snake Head:

[QB]One favourite expression of the bar girls is “think too much” as in “you think too much”. I’ve never heard other Thais saying this. I’m wondering if it’s a transliteration of a Thai expression.

QB]

Well I think I`ve heard that expression used in other circles as well, but the "Oh, I love you too much" I`d say is another favourite bg expression. But this can hardly be a transliteration of a common thai expression or?

Michael

crazy.gif" border="0

Originally posted by Snake Head:

"One favourite expression of the bar girls is “think too much” as in “you think too much”. I’ve never heard other Thais saying this."

They do say it, often about themselves: Phom/chan khit maak = I'm worried/unhappy/depressed.

"Khun khit maak" you will obviously only hear in a sort of close relationship, not by people you encounter casually in your day-to-day business.

SB wrote:

"They do say it, often about themselves: Phom/chan khit maak = I'm worried/unhappy/depressed."

KIT(h) MAK(f) is an idiom with no exact translation, but there are several other words for "worried", and it's a little different from "unhappy". I think "depressed" is close to the actual meaning, but the closest English term I can think of is "preoccupied", although this is used a lot less frequently than KIT MAK.

Uhhhhhh, only your friends will tell you this..... but Keet Mahck does indeed mean think too much. Which is sort of not a compliment because the Thai way is never to take things so serious that you must Keet Mahk. Mai Pen Rai, sanuk and all that. I guess a better, less literal, translation would be "Lighten up"

I know because they are always telling me I keet Mahk.

คิดมาก kit maak - think alot

very popular phrase,everybody says it,

means what it says or to some degree thinking too much,more a casual conversation type phrase but you can use this in any level of society.

คิดมากเกินไป kit maak kern pai -think too much,excessively

ห่วง huang (low tone) worry

กลุ้มใจ klumjai (falling) depressed smile.gif" border="0

[ August 04, 2001: Message edited by: noo6 ]

Archived