Taxi ranks all over town

BuffHello

Cab ranks to be all over town

BANGKOK: -- The cabinet yesterday agreed the capital's traffic problems will ease if taxis are provided with free parking stands all over town. The surcharge on cabs collecting passangers from the airport and bus terminals will also be dropped, government spokesman Surapong Seubwonglee said.

All government and state enterprise offices will be required to provide taxi ranks. Hotels, hospitals, shopping malls and other major buildings will also have to comply.

A pilot project will start on three main roads _ Sukhumvit, Phetchaburi and Rama IV _ on Oct 15, to provide parking for about 600 taxis.

Mr Surapong said the proposals were submitted by PM's Office Minister Newin Chidchob, who was tasked with tackling the capital's growing traffic problem.

He denied the plan would conflict with city hall's plan to provide 150 ``intelligent'' taxi stands, which would allow passengers to call a cab by pressing a button linked to a taxi call centre.

Mr Surapong said there were about 60,000 taxis operating in Bangkok and its surrounding areas. At any one time about 70% were empty and roaming for passengers. This was a big waste of fuel and greatly added to congestion.

A working panel chaired by Mr Newin would draft a ministerial regulation to require all buildings in future to provide taxi stands.

The panel would comprise representatives of the Council of State, the Department of Public Works and Town and Country Planning and the traffic police.

--Bangkok Post 2005-09-28

how many times have i stood in the taxi queue outside the airport arrivals and watched as dozens of taxis went back to town empty.most of them went back to town empty.

Hi,

I would tend to agree that there are too many taxis in the city. I even think the 60K is on the conservative side; most taxi drivers I talk to put the number at around 80-100K.

While a huge number of taxis is convenient for us who use them, I can certainly understand the problems associated with it. It's not just added congestion and fuel usage, but it also means less income for each driver.

Of course, if it rains all (empty) taxis instantly disappear :)

Sanuk!

And then we will find ourselves walking though the rain and flooded streets to the taxi stand. It people cue up nicely, then yeah, this would still be better than competing for taxis out on the street.

This whole thing seems to be happening pretty quicly, and its easy to imagine the plan being revised plenty as they gain experience.

<< Mr Surapong said the proposals were submitted by PM's Office Minister Newin Chidchob, who was tasked with tackling the capital's growing traffic problem. >>

Absolutely forking brilliant! Instead of encouraging Thais to take taxis or buses, this will encourage them to drive their own cars. Great way to ease the traffic problems.

p.s. If it does ever happen, expect it to last about 2 or 3 weeks -- after which it will be ignored like the other traffic laws.

Archived