English Schools/Lessons

ThaiHome

OK, all you English Teachers, would like to solicit your opinions on what would be a good English school to have my wife go to? She can speak quite well, but wants to improve her grammar and reading. I figure that there is no better source for advice then people involved in this business everyday.

We live around Sukhumvit Soi 24-26; but it is not necessary to be close, since transportation is available.

Looking for classes 3 times a week during day.

What is usual cost for school?

I think you mean 'elicit' Thaihome. I would sure hope that you wouldn't try and solicit something from me wink.gif" border="0.....

To answer your question though, it sounds like that your wife's needs are quite specific and would generally not be met within a classroom setting with a course textbook. Sounds like she needs one-on-one with a few goals outlined before commencing. Perhaps go and meet with some teachers and help her decide. If you decide to do it one-on-one, either way (private or school) she will be looking at about 500 baht per hour so you might as well find what you want. Language schools, I think, can generally not be recommended as a whole as the teachers within one place vary greatly with their teaching abilities and style etc..(in my little experience anyway)

Do some shopping around if you've got time.

What a coincidence, I was just going to ask almost the

same question. I would like to send a GF to an English

language school. She speaks typical elementary barglish.

She lives in BKK, proximity to Prakhonon would be a benefit.

I'm not prepared to pay 500B per hour. How long do the

courses last, how many hours per day? I can't shop around

as I'm not in Thailand.

If you are reluctant to advertise your own school here

maybe recommend another :-)

[ August 24, 2001: Message edited by: poseidon ]

Does anyone know of any English schools that offer classes before 8 AM or after 8 PM?

My wife's friend works from 9 AM to 7 PM every day. I noticed that AUA has a class that begins at 7 AM, but I heard that you must have a high school degree to attend AUA. Is this true? Is AUA an appropriate school for someone that does not speak any English?

Thanks, Jay

[One thing you should consider is what social level your g/f or wife is at. University educated??? Many of the good language schools have university masters and undergrad students studying there. Many are upper or middle class thai. Even though british council is the best school in thailand for learning English it would be the worst school for an issan girl with a bor 6 education. She would not fit in will the rest of the class and hence probabaly not enjoy it. Some of the better schools are at siam square. that is where ECC puts it's best teachers etc.

More information about the women will be required if you want a particular school.

quote:

Originally posted by JAYBLOOM:

Is AUA an appropriate school for someone that does not speak any English?

Thanks, Jay

I hate to say it but if a person speaks NO english and can not read nor write, a THAI teacher would be much more effective. Farang teachers are not used to teaching uneducated students and are pretty much ineffective at basic reading and writting etc since they have very little experience with these types of students. Even Farang anaban teachers just usually concentrate on songs and pron. games

Plus a thai would be much cheaper

[ August 24, 2001: Message edited by: whosyourdaddy ]

quote:

Originally posted by Dan:

I think you mean 'elicit' Thaihome. I would sure hope that you wouldn't try and solicit something from me
wink.gif" border="0

No I was soliciting, as in asking your opinion, as opposed to eliciting, or drawing out. I guess it would figure that the word ?solicit? could only be used in one context on this board.

Any way, appreciate your advice on the one-on-one. That is actually what I had thought as well.

I am surprised by the virtual lack of response to the question, not sure what that means. No one thinks there is a school worth recommending?

quote:

Originally posted by THAIHOME:

[QB.

I am surprised by the virtual lack of response to the question, not sure what that means. No one thinks there is a school worth recommending?[/QB]

WHY????

Maybe if you give more information, someone would be able to help you. Like:

Where you want to study? just dont stay anywheres in bangkok because if your misses has to travel 2 hours back and forth in heavy traffic she will not be going after 2 weeks

Price range you want. can be as little as 2000 bhat a month to 8000 bhat for a 30 hour course

background of your misses... university, high school, bor 6?

Social class?

There are many ok schools around but to make a proper decision you must give some more infomation

AUA is fine above level 6

ECC siam is the only branch I would go to

IEG

Henley

Austral

There is a new school in fortune tower that seems ok. forget the name.

stay away from siam, berlitz and british america.

Schools change all the time. My girlfriend started at one of the better schools in BKK. she fit right in was learning a shit load after work. But since then the school lost a few full time teachers and now are shit. part time teachers just dont care that much as full timers.

Honestly, I think my initial advice was the best. GO and talk to the teachers. I don't think it's fair to say 'go here' , 'avoid there' ......... Firstly, I have actually known some good teachers working at British American and Siam for example. I don't think it's fair to write them off totally. Mind you. Many 'good' teachers don't stay at these places long as the money is pretty piss-poor. Secondly, I have met many self acclaimed non-caring non-teachers at many places like AUA, international school immersion programs, and most places of English learning in Thailand.

So, it goes to show that most language schools in Bangkok are extremely inconsistant with their quality of teachers and, it is changing all the time! Just like your favourite bar.. good one week, shite the next. Big turnover.

But....having said that and judging by the salaries paid to employees (assuming the theory that good money = good teachers)I would suggest Inlingua and EF (English First) as a recommendation. Though, I still think discerning learners should get out and meet their teachers. How often does this happen? Very rarely. It's what I'd be doing. Wouldn't you?

quote:

Posted by Dan

I would suggest Inlingua and EF (English First) as a recommendation.

Sorry to correct you Dan but Inlingua are one of the worst-paying schools in Bangkok for in-school teaching. Their corporate stuff is fairly well paid but not the in-school lessons. Teachers at Inlingua (and I know many) will sometimes pull a face at the prospect of teaching in a classroom at one of their branches. It's always been something of a mystery why such a plush establishment like Inlingua haven't recognised the need to push up their pay rates in this area.

As regards EF - I've been into their Silom branch purely for a nose around and wasn't particularly impressed with what I saw. They didn't seem to offer anything different to the Siams and the British Americans even though the pay was a little better.

Someone mentioned Henley as a recommendation in an earlier thread. Isn't Henley now 100% Thai run? - never a good sign!

I totally agree with the suggestion that your girlfriend needs a Thai teacher. I get students come to my school who can't read, write or speak English - much to the annoyance of my boss, I turn them away. Farang teachers shouldn't be in a classroom with this kind of student.

[ August 26, 2001: Message edited by: Bangkok Phil ]

Archived