ee dhork thong !!!!!!!

Bakkabon

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May be she was addressing the word to your "mom" !! The curse directed to one's parents is considered very rude for Thais. If that was what she intended to do she should have said "Luk ee dhork thong" which means "a prositute's child" ! Maybe "ee dhork thong" is probably a shorter version for her.

DORK TAWNG, as the others have posted, is slang for 'prostitute', but is considered very impolite and insulting. It literally means 'golden flower'. A politer word for prostitute, less likely to cause offense to someone would be POO-YING BORIGAN (lit. service girl/woman).

The EE prefix is a particle used to indicate contempt/abuse when put before the name of a woman (or animal), although I've heard that in Issan dialect EE is sometimes used among intimates as a term of affection when placed before a woman's name.

Quote from Noo6 posting to "Asking Questions in Thai:"

quote:

ai as a prefix to a male name and ee for a female name, used much the same as khun. If used incorrectly impolite. These words arent

issarn dialect but used all over thailand.

It would be very rare for a farang to use

these words without sounding silly, but

good to know when hearing thais speak to each other

See the above quote from a different thread that is a good summary of my understanding of 'ee' and 'ai.' For example, 'ee kay' for 'old woman' as the way a husband may address his wife after many years of togetherness. That poster indicated that this form was not necessarily impolite (unless incorrectly used - probably if you didn't know the person to whom you directed it well), just less formal. She (I've gotten the impression somewhere Noo6 is a woman) clearly also contradicts your suggestion that it is Issan dialect. I learned it from an Issan girl though, so maybe it originated there sometime in distant memory.

As a further interesting aside, the original poster's girl could have said simply 'ee dawk' and it would have meant essentially the same although as I understand it not quite as rude. Although why calling a girl 'you flower' is considered rude is something I'll probably never understand.

[ September 04, 2001: Message edited by: Lamock Chokaprret ]

quote:

Originally posted by Lamock Chokaprret:

[QB]Quote from Noo6 posting to "Asking Questions in Thai:"

As a further interesting aside, the original poster's girl could have said simply 'ee dawk' and it would have meant essentially the same although as I understand it not quite as rude. Although why calling a girl 'you flower' is considered rude is something I'll probably never understand.

QB]

Me neither. If she had said: ee dorg thoong garii chang yet. Now that I understand why will be considered offensive.

By the way, dorg means flower, but it also means interest. Does the Dorg Thoong refer to a golden flower or to interests gained from an investment (gold)? I am not really sure?

Originally posted by Lamock Chokaprret:

"Although why calling a girl 'you flower' is considered rude is something I'll probably never understand."

Why not? This is called euphemism - give a nice name to something bad, or something which society perceives as bad, but underneath the nicety the real thing shines through. I can't think of s.th. similar in English in this context, but, for example in German, a street-walker is sometimes called "curbside swallow" (as in swallow, the bird). Actually, "street-walker" in itself may be a bit of a euphemism - she walks the streets alright, but we all know what she REALLY does.

[ September 05, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

quote:

Originally posted by Hua Nguu:

Does the Dorg Thoong refer to a golden flower or to interests gained from an investment (gold)? I am not really sure?

Hua Nguu:

Dorg = flower

Thong = golden

Interest = dorg bia. Usually Thais would shorten the word to "dorg". Bia is the old Thai word for money. So it makes sense to call "interest" the flower of money !

quote:

Originally posted by BkkShaggy:

Hua Nguu:

Dorg = flower

Thong = golden

Interest = dorg bia. Usually Thais would shorten the word to "dorg". Bia is the old Thai word for money. So it makes sense to call "interest" the flower of money !

All right. I had no idea, in my dictionary "interest" is plain "dorg".

Are you familiar with the expression "bia chae"? You know when talking about Ngun Chae the participants in this "investment game" or whatever you choose to call it:-) they gather once a month to pay the "bia chae". What does it mean in this sense then?

Regards

Michael

Archived