ee dhork thong !!!!!!!

Bakkabon

quote:

Originally posted by Scum_Baggio:

Originally posted by Hua Nguu:

'Are you familiar with the expression "bia chae"?'

The "chae" is nothing but the English "share". The scheme that you mention is called "len share"; len = "play".

The people I know refer to this game as ngun share, to len ngun share.

So bia share is basically the same expression or..

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dan makes a good point. 'Slut' or 'whore' is another way of defining the word. As I understand it 'so-pee-nee' is a more technically correct translation of prostitute.

To Khun Scum_Baggio,

The Indian word you referred to (I just remembered it) is 'sala' I believe.

And when I used 'thaat' with my g/f she thought I was using a synonym of 'hoi' although I don't know whether this is Issan slang or of some other origin. She pronounced slave more like 'tat' where the word is pronounced like the English 'tot' (for toddler). This is most likely a transliteration issue as I am not doubting your linguistic talents.

Originally posted by Lamock Chokaprret:

"The Indian word you referred to (I just remembered it) is 'sala' I believe."

That's right. "Sala" is the brother of your wife; to him on the other hand you are his "jija". Another insult is "sasur", father-in-law, as the term implies you bonk his daughter as well. If you want to be really obnoxious, you could call someone "sala behn-chod", sister-fucking brother-in-law, but do get ready for a double-quick exit.

"She pronounced slave more like 'tat' where the word is pronounced like the English 'tot' (for toddler)."

Can't be. "Thaat" is from Sanskrit "daasa"; the first "a" remains long even in Thai.

You remember that well-known monk from Chaiya, who died a few years ago, Phra Buddhadasa? This "-dasa" is the same word, slave. Or see the name of the former president of Sri Lanka, Premadasa ("Slave of Love" - in spite of the name he was a real nasty piece of work).

From Scum Baggio:

quote:

Can't be. "Thaat" is from Sanskrit "daasa"; the first "a" remains long even in Thai.

You remember that well-known monk from Chaiya, who died a few years ago, Phra Buddhadasa? This "-dasa" is the same word, slave. Or see the name of the former president of Sri Lanka, Premadasa ("Slave of Love" - in spite of the name he was a real nasty piece of work).

Never doubted you. But when the confusion arose I looked up 'slave' in her English to Thai dictionary and that is how she pronounced the word from the Thai script.

Personally, I'm lucky if I can pronounce my own name.

quote:

Apparently one person's clarification is another's obfuscation. I'm really curious why a Thai would say it is inappropriate for a farang to use these words. I could understand 'surprised' or 'confused when' but inappropriate?

What class of Thai said this? Why is it appropriate for Thais to use it among themselves and not farang to Thai? Is there some secret club I'll never belong to no matter how well I learn the language?

I am really interested in answers to these questions. My TG seems to think its cute when I say it to her. Clearly I don't call her 'ee hee.'

Well, I asked two Thais about this, one a service girl and the other a hotel receptionist (a so-called 'good girl'). Both, during the course of explaining the word, without any prompting from me, indicated that they felt a farang shouldn't use the word although they themselves use it. I can only report what they said to me.

Maybe you could go out and perform a field study and ask 100 Thais from all walks of life about the word's appropriateness and report back. I would be interested in the findings.

As to why your girlfriend finds it cute, well, maybe she's just humouring her ติ๊งต๊อง farang boyfriend.

wink.gif" border="0

tthe reason it sounds silly when non thai

speakers use what is essentially slang,

like "ee" and "ai" is that they are often used out of context and this being a casual

familiar type of speech the speaker may not know the rest of the words that make up

casual/familiar conversation.OK for a bit of fun with the girlfriend etc but out on the street you would want to be a very good thai speaker.

Much like when a non english speaker uses english slang.

>Although why calling a girl 'you flower' is considered rude is something I'll probably never understand."

I guess it might come from the Thai saying "Dork mai rim tang" - literally translating "flower on the sideways". Such flowers are easily to be "picked up" because they are on the side of the pathways. The term is described a "bad" woman who makes herself available just like a "flower on the sideways".

So "dork" in the word "dork tong" doesn't intend to appreciate a woman's beauty like a flower. Rather, it's an insult.

Noo6:

I agree with you. If I may add that most farangs probably don't know how to use the tone properly. The different tone of voice with the same word conveys different connotation,eg. "ee" with the right soft tone is acceptable to your friends. With the wrong tone you could be in trouble !! That's why the Thais told farangs it would be better not to use it!

Hi there.

I just asked a friend and she said that dork tong might be known better as a slut or a whore but dork mai(high tone)tong is an artificially coloured golden flower. I know that you have already received many emails on this but, this information is just a bit of Thai trivia smile.gif" border="0

Archived