ee dhork thong !!!!!!!

Bakkabon

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Originally posted by Hua Nguu:

'Are you familiar with the expression "bia chae"?'

The "chae" is nothing but the English "share". The scheme that you mention is called "len share"; len = "play".

Scum Baggio wrote quoting me:

quote:

"Although why calling a girl 'you flower' is considered rude is something I'll probably never understand."

Why not? This is called euphemism - give a nice name to something bad, or something which society perceives as bad, but underneath the nicety the real thing shines through.

I have noticed that most Thai curses are couched in euphemism. I was attempting to be slightly sarcastic in my remarks and may have come across as simply ignorant. But for some reason I've noticed that most Thai vulgarities with respect to name calling or bad acts have a literal tranlation that is relatively benign.

This seems opposed to most western vulgarities that rely on scatalogical (sp?) or sexual slur to have impact. My point is that I find them rather fascinating in this respect. It's almost a cultured way of being vulgar, which is as much of an oxymoron as many other aspects of Thai culture.

Just another 2 baht from a dumb farang.

Lamock Ch.,

you will know that in Thai culture polite and gentle speech is paramount; so no wonder many insults come with a sugar coating.

This doesn't apply always, though. Try calling a Thai man "I-hia" or "I-sonteen". I'm sure you know what a "hia" is; "sonteen" is the "heel", the lowest part of the body and it's a bad insult. "Thaat", slave", is pretty bad, too, reminding Thais of the times when a large number of them were, well, slaves without any rights (slavery was abolished by King Chulalongkorn in the late 19th century). It's equivalent to calling someone low-class shit.

Which brings us to the obvious conclusion that insults differ according to the different cultural backgrounds of societies. In India, the cow is holy, but try calling an Englishwoman "cow". Again in India, if you call someone "brother-in-law", the underlying implication is that since you're married to his sister you certainly screw her and that's just too vexing a thought for your brother-in-law. In Thailand, who'd give a damn? Actually, by analysing the insults en vogue in a particular society, you can draw conclusions as to its values and thoughts.

[ September 06, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

Quotes from Scum Baggio:

quote:

you will know that in Thai culture polite and gentle speech is paramount; so no wonder many insults come with a sugar coating.

No question about it. It makes sense. I still find it fascinating that they consider such flowery phraseology vulgar. Shakespeare should have made some of the connections I see in the Thai insults.

quote:

This doesn't apply always, though. Try calling a Thai man "I-hia" or "I-sonteen". I'm sure you know what a "hia" is; "sonteen" is the "heel", the lowest part of the body and it's a bad insult.

Knew about the lizard and note that many insults derive from comparison to animals. Obviously a lower form of life (e.g., 'maengda', 'sait') but wondering if there is anything else to it. Haven't tried 'heel' but can't wait to. Any tones to that one? No Thai script though, I am illiterate.

quote:

"Thaat", slave", is pretty bad, too, reminding Thais of the times when a large number of them were, well, slaves without any rights (slavery was abolished by King Chulalongkorn in the late 19th century). It's equivalent to calling someone low-class shit.

I love it. Soon I will be even more 'lamock' than my name suggests.

quote:

Which brings us to the obvious conclusion that insults differ according to the different cultural backgrounds of societies. In India, the cow is holy, but try calling an Englishwoman "cow". Again in India, if you call someone "brother-in-law", the underlying implication is that since you're married to his sister you certainly screw her and that's just too vexing a thought for your brother-in-law. In Thailand, who'd give a damn? Actually, by analysing the insults en vogue in a particular society, you can draw conclusions as to its values and thoughts.

Good point about calling a woman a 'cow.' I guess there are some similarities between Thai and the West. I still stand by my original statement though with regard to origin of vulgarities. I'd heard that Indian word for 'brother-in-law' (can't remember it now) and merely point out that it fits the pattern I suggest (i.e., being sexually derived).

Incidentally, does anyone know if the Khmer or Lao consider many animal comparisons vulgar as do the Thais? In other words is a Thai thing, regional thing, or what?

Fascinating subject. But then I am ...

[ September 06, 2001: Message edited by: Lamock Chokaprret ]

Boo Radley said:

quote:

Thanks for your clarification on the use of EE. Yes, it is also used in central Thai amongst intimates in certain circumstances. The Thais I talked to said that it would be innapropriate for farang to try to use it though. So I'll be sticking with the more familiar Khun for the minute.

Apparently one person's clarification is another's obfuscation. I'm really curious why a Thai would say it is inappropriate for a farang to use these words. I could understand 'surprised' or 'confused when' but inappropriate?

What class of Thai said this? Why is it appropriate for Thais to use it among themselves and not farang to Thai? Is there some secret club I'll never belong to no matter how well I learn the language?

I am really interested in answers to these questions. My TG seems to think its cute when I say it to her. Clearly I don't call her 'ee hee.'

I also should say that, despite my moniker, I really don't go out of my way to insult Thais. I believe the easiest way to avoid insulting language is to know what words to avoid.

quote:

Originally posted by Hua Nguu:

The people I know refer to this game as ngun share, to len ngun share.

So bia share is basically the same expression or..

I think the right pronunciation is "Pia share". It is a verb describing the bidding for getting the money for the month. The one offers the highest bid (dork bia) gets the sum of the money plus the "dork bia" accumulating up to the previous month.

[ September 06, 2001: Message edited by: BkkShaggy ]

Brought up this topic with a group of Thai friends the other night - meaning of 'ee dork thong' and what context it's used in - and they were all quite unanimous and adamant in their decision that this word is not synonymous with prostitute.

Sure, the dictionary definition is as follows:

flowers of gold; sexually ppromiscuous; a promiscuous woman, a whore, a harlot, a prostitute.

But, with it's usage in everyday Thai speech it was agreed that it's closest translation in English would be 'slut', 'bitch' ..and somebody that will cheat, act badly as some prostitutes do and fuck around alot. It is not generally used to describe or refer to a prostitute, but instead, someone who acts like a prostitute and is promiscuous and and/or a cunt in nature. So therfore it follows that not every prostitute can be referred to as 'dork thong'. So, If a prostitute is good, doesn't cheat and generally isn't a bad person then she cannot be referred to as 'dork thong'...........

So, just another opinion..

==================================

cheers,

Dan

Archived