Mynmar movies

Old Hippie

Old Hippie said:

There is a movie about an American female doctor who gets caught in Mynmar, anyone know the name? Thanks

Beyond Rangoon (1995), directed by John Boorman, starring Patricia Arquette. Not that great, IMO, but there's not exactly a plethora of movies about Burma.

If you're interested, check out the The Burmese Harp (1956). A Japanese classic about a platoon stuck in Burma during WWII.

You're welcome.

"burmese harp" is a great movie, indeed. Local bay area libraries may have it, i borrowed it at the central one in SF.

Beyond Rangoon is your typical do-gooding white female glorification (not sure she is a doctor, just a bleeding heart tourist). Everything is stereotyped about it, then again, the reality in Burma fits some stereotypes. Not a great movie, by anyone's measure.

Have seen it too long ago to remember but a movie from Boorman can't be too bad. Daring guy that goes into making flicks like "The General" (a great black and white movie about an irish gangster if I recall properly) after he's already become a very popular name.

Besides, somehow, some stories I hear about Burma do remind me of the pig rape scene in "Deliverance"

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly, ever so slowly, the mind works.

The Purple Plain (1954), starring Gregory Peccary, er, Gregory Peck, is popular with some. Greg is shot down in WWII and must battle the elements to survive.

Merrill's Marauders (1962), directed by the legendary Sam Fuller and starring the somewhat legendary Jeff Chandler, follows the famous unit as they battle the elements (again!) and the Japanese.

Archived