Myanmar Uses Filters for Private Intranet

Old Hippie

Myanmar Uses Filters for Private Intranet

October 13, 2005 12:23 PM EDT

NEW YORK - Myanmar uses Internet software filters from a U.S. company to essentially create a private intranet for the country, allowing it to monitor e-mail and block sites from opposition groups, university researchers have found.

In the latest study on censorship, the OpenNet Initiative found Myanmar's to be among the most extensive.

Free e-mail providers like Hotmail are routinely blocked, forcing users to rely on state-controlled services that are easier to control. The group also found inaccessible the majority of political opposition and pro-democracy sites it tested.

The OpenNet Initiative is a collaboration of Harvard University, the University of Toronto and the University of Cambridge. It previously studied censorship in China, Iran and Singapore.

Jonathan Zittrain, a professor at Harvard and Oxford universities, said Myanmar achieves what even China isn't able to do: Create a countrywide network with limited gateways to the outside world.

He suspects China needs the Internet too much for commerce to successfully create a similar China Wide Web.

According to the study, the country formerly known as Burma recently switched from an open-source filtering product to a firewall from Fortinet Inc. of Sunnyvale, Calif.

Fortinet officials told the researchers that sales are made through resellers, although an official Burmese site shows a photograph identifying a Fortinet regional executive, Benjamin Teh, with then-Prime Minister Gen. Khin Nyunt at a ceremony to introduce the product. Fortinet officials did not return calls from The Associated Press on Wednesday.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

I thought there was some US policy that forbid trading with Burma, even through third parties. I know a friend of ours who did so ten years ago got relieved of his importers role in 'my country' when he was found to have done so (He was burmese).

So what's the govt of US doing about this?

About the so called "no trade" with burma. Its not what it seems. Try and have a look at this website:

http://www.burmacampaign.org.uk/pm/archive.php

Then do a search for "dirty list" and you will see an extensive A-Z list of which (European) companies trade with Burma.

Unocal also springs to mind, as an Amercian Oli company that makes big money for itself and the ruling junta.

Sanctions, my ass...

There may be problems with democracy, in Myanmar, but a trade embargo, by the West, is only driving the country into the arms of the Chinese. Myanmar is a very poor country, with tribal issues, and the West is only making matters worse for the people. I have little faith in Bush's foreign policy.

We should learn a lesson from Iraq that strongarm measures do not always work for the best.

Myanmar, by the way, has natural gas reserves, which the West sorely needs.

When I traveled to Myanmar, I could not use Amex travelers checks or any of my credit cards. This was inconvenient, but I had the cash. I'm going back because I like the people and there's a lot to see.

I think the embargo is just making things worse for everybody. Trade would increase prosperity and give people jobs and may lead to more freedom.

ikkrang said:

I thought there was some US policy that forbid trading with Burma, even through third parties. I know a friend of ours who did so ten years ago got relieved of his importers role in 'my country' when he was found to have done so (He was burmese).

So what's the govt of US doing about this?

I'm bored, so a little gas on the fire here...what should the US Gov due about it? I mean the world is (rightfully) pissed at us for sticking our nose in to Iraq and Afghanistan, based on lies and bullshit, we are making gestures towards N. Korea Syria and Iran...and yet we get our nuts slapped at for it, yet we get chastized fornot going into other places...we need to make up our minds here, we are either the world's police force, serving the special needs of the elite/rich, or we aren't...you want us to help Burma? well tell them to get some god damned oil, and we'll talk... O.k. Discuss...

I dont disagree with you that most foreign policies are motivated by real interests such as money, business or oil. In the end of the day I dont think it matters what motivates a country to get involved in the misery of another country, because as long as youre involved, its already a step in the right direction.

Also, I believe that the other posters didnt bash US for their sanctions in Burma, they merely pointed out that these havent had the wanted effect (ie democratisation of the country and more political freedom to the people in Burma).

Theres need for a new policy in the country. Maybe Humanitarian intervention?? After all, Burma has loads of natural resources.

Archived