Farang phuut passat Thai reu plao, k-?

Lamock Chokaprret

Crash999 said:

quote:

If you were standing in line at the immigration department, I must inform you that this is their natural disposition!!!

Hah! tongue.gif" border="0 I know better than to deal with government bureaucracies, especially Thai ones. I let my company handle that and just sign the papers.

But to add to the saga, I ran into a fellow today that, despite trying to sell me on an apartment, did his best to ignore me whether I spoke to him in English or in Thai. Kept deferring to the Thai g/f. I'm beginning to think that some of them just don't like farangs.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

Lamok first I really think U can be happy if after 8 months of learning so many people can understand U.I've practiced it longer and some people still seem not to have a clue.One thing is sure my prononciation isn't great,as I'm even hard to understand in French.On this case I'd say most of the people are able to interprete what I say,the differences with what they're supposed to hear beeing rather small,but for some it's just too much to figure out.I've noticed it in other languages(even my native one..)but several posters pointed out some Thai peculiarities

LuisBKK responded to me:

quote:

Lamok first I really think U can be happy if after 8 months of learning so many people can understand U.

Actually the experience I've had for the most part is pretty satisfying, despite my comments above. While not everyone understands me I feel comfortable that I can function on my own.

I also feel I haven't been doing enough to try to learn. Really just picking up words here and there without a concentrated effort to learn. I can say that I know enough about languages to concentrate my efforts on the words that really count so I think I get pretty good bang for my buck.

A study of languages shows that about 10-15% of the words are used probably in 60-70% of the conversations you normally encounter during the day in non-business related settings.

Sorry in advance, because I have forgotten where I heard that statistic.

quote:

Originally posted by seeker:

Thais simply aren't used to people speaking their language anything other than correctly. They're not used to mistakes, wrong tones, poor pronunciation, and their ear can't adjust.

After hearing my friend talk to his girlfriend in mutilated Thai, you'd disagree. "Poam poam poam... (phom)umm... pooh-drone (ja phoot trong) gap 'coon (kap khun)... uhh..."

By some miracle, she understands.

Cheers!

Speaking from my own experience, there's something else no one's mentioned that you guys might find interesting or can relate to.

Ever call and speak to someone you know but haven't talked to in awhile? It's easy to pretend you're someone you're not, or play a joke on them because for the first minute or so they won't know who you are!

It's an interesting phenomenon, and while admittedly not the same as face-to-face, I'd venture to say it's somehow aurally related in some way, inasmuch as the ear momentarily throws the brain off balance. And yes, the person might understand the words, but why do so many people still say, "What, who is this?" etc.

I'm sure there's some expert out there who could explain it all much better. But I really don't think the problem was the Thai person being a language snob.

Pjacktpa: I hope it didn't seem like I was trying to imply that Thais are language snobs. Quite the contrary. I just think it is outside of their general language experience (for many) to hear a farang speak Thai. So their eyes don't believe what their ears are hearing. While I may have spoke of Thais that 'refuse to believe' a farang can speak Thai, what I meant was more along the lines of 'refuse to believe what their ears are telling them.'

Crash999 said:

quote:

After hearing my friend talk to his girlfriend in mutilated Thai...

I have to agree with this experience. I have a friend who's been living here for around 2 years. While he knows many more words than me, even I can tell his pronunciation is really bad. The words I know, he occasionally really butchers so no telling what he does with the ones I don't know. He admits it too. Despite all of this, there are people who understand him. Not the least of which is his girlfriend I'm sure.

Lamock - I understand where you're comin' from, bro'. There's a zillion theories that could explain it. I've always found body language, i.e., physical reactions and language, to be fascinating topics of study. If only there was a behavioural and/or liguistic expert amongst us who could weigh in and shed additonal light on the matter.

The Thai guy who persisted in speaking only with the Thai G/F, leaving the farang out of the loop, now THAT's a language snob (and a social dirtbag) in my book.

To Crash - either you have the gift for mimicry or you don't. Remember though, there are some poor bastards who suffer from certain illnesses which render their speech

virturally unitelligible. Yet over time their caregivers are able to understand them.

It's all relative.

It could also have to do with the provence they are from. Your accent is already going to differ from the accent in the region you're learning Thai, and if the Thai is from another provence that differs greatly, it's going to be that much harder for them to understand you.

I know my own comprehension of Thai's speaking varies widely. The 'bangkok' accent is very easy to understand for me, but from some of the issan provences and the south (had yai is the worst), my most common reaction is a puzzled look and "arai na?"

quote:

Originally posted by worldwalker:

[QBI know my own comprehension of Thai's speaking varies widely. The 'bangkok' accent is very easy to understand for me, but from some of the issan provences and the south (had yai is the worst), my most common reaction is a puzzled look and "arai na?"[/QB]

Funny prononciation in the south indeed.My GF though was often as puzzled as me.

Pjacktpa or anyone else how would U define the people who just refuse to give a try at talking with U.,ie a waitress who refuses to listen to me when I start to order and turn to my GF.Be sure next time she glances at me I'm on my way out but is that a language snob too??

Archived