Vendor food, best places

nordicman

I tried that guy a couple times after your recommendation stick. I remember it being good but hard for me to tell the difference from others when it comes to fried rice.

I don't know if she is still there but last time I was in Pattaya 3 years ago there was an old lady and her husband that came out most late afternoons around sunset right in front of the Royal Garden Mall on 2nd road. The best Phat Thai Khun I have ever had. I ate there probably about 10 times. Always lots of Thai's in business clothes ordering Phat Thai and eating it on the sidewalk. I'll be back in Dec. I hope she is still there.

• 2 weeks later...

best noodle soups in bkk is probably along the narrow canals at the north end of victory monoment. small servings though so sample 2 or 3 while you there. bring along your favorite TG for the bets experience ;)

hardly got a bad fried rice in LOS, but my wife still cant fry up a decent one :(

for excellent crayfish larb, som tam, duck feet/moths try some of the busier ramhamkeang area roads lined with outdoor style restaurants :up:

ib13 said:

best noodle soups in bkk is probably along the narrow canals at the north end of victory monoment. small servings though so sample 2 or 3 while you there. bring along your favorite TG for the bets experience ;)

I've heard that from someone else before. I tried their soup but there are two things different from regular kwai thiaw.

One, it comes in very small bowls. I think the price is 10 Baht per bowl. Most people seem to get multiple bowls and you can see stacks of empty bowls at most tables. My guess is that you try different types ... and herein lies my question. What are the different types of khwai thiaw? You can get different size noodles, or you can get pork balls vs fish balls but I think there is more to it.

Two, there are several different vendors there, but none of them serve the usual clear broth but, rather, a dark brown colored soup. What's the difference? Is it even called the same, khwai thiaw? I just hope it's not pig blood that they are adding to it...

its indeed blood they're adding for the e.g. 'sen lek moo nam dok' (dark brown versions) & thats what gives the flavour a boost. Its not that other 'regular' noodle stalls don't have the 'blood' versions, but perhaps here its more profound ;)

also they have stacks of 'crisps' to add to the soups on the table & yeah what differs mainly is whether one want chicken, duck, pork, beef, fish balls, pork balls, liver etc. with the small, medium, flat etc, noodles.

each stall of course compete to be considered the best of the bunch & invariably they all have their own little way of making their soup a bit different...

10bt aint far of the mark per bowl it used to be just 6bt or so a few years back up there!

bon appetit!

Archived