Vendor food, best places

nordicman

I've eaten sparingly at food vendors, mostly just fruit, Phad thai and the occassional cricket (joking). My guess is lower Suk is probably not the best place to look. I am willing to venture farther afield from the Nana area. Any tips on where to go and what to try? I like to try different foods.

Night markets for vendor foods?

Ok a few places...Take the Skytrain to Tonglor, you will see around Soi 38 or so (visable from the skytrain platform, you really can't miss it) is just lined with food stalls, all pretty good... if you don't speak Thai, just point and hold up 1 finger for one order, 2 for 2 orders etc...Mostly local people eat here.

Soi 10, 12 0r 14, help me out here locals, Basically, go to Times square building, walk towards the higher numbered Sois, pass a Chinese restaurant, turn right at the next Ally...Some Local food shops (not really stalls), good, but your're fucked if you can't read Thai...or order some Thai dishes in Thai...

O.k. Exit Soi 7 beer garden, on the right, across the street, is the food court, good, make a left, walk to the Park ??hotel, walk down the drive way into the parking lot, on your left is a really good food court, mostly locals eat here as well. Good food and not expensive.

Between Soi 1 and Soi 3 Next to the Soi 1 "bar building" is a lot full of really good places! They have just about everything, including decent seafood.

Fpr a different experience, go to a food court in any major shoping center, a hassle using coupons, but usually really good food cheap! Usually the same as the street (sort of) but cleaner, quieter and air conditioned! Also a bit more expensive.

Not sure if he's still there, but soi kasemsan 2, directly across from national stadium near MBK. Guy has the first or second stall on the right hand side, always packed with locals. I believe stickman even gave this guy a mention in one of his weeklies a while back. Best thai food I've ever had, bar none. There was a lady with good satay and sticky rice at the entrance to that soi as well.

Forgot to mention theareaaround Victory monument, many to choose from. Oh, and the restaurant next to the Rajadamdern Boxing stadium has really good Gai Yang! The other food places near the boxing stadiums (Raja and Lumpini) are also o.k. Not always that clean...

Agreed 100%! This guy used to be in Soi Kasemsan 1 and he had what I also consider the best Thai food I?ve ever had. I used to eat there once or twice a day, every day, for 5 years. (I used to live in that neighbourhood.)

Whenever I am back in the Siam Square area I would pop along and grab a bite there, but sadly around Songkran of this year him and his wife packed up and set off to Si Saket, to retire. Was quite sad when I found out, but happy for him.

I used to chat with him a lot, and he told me all about his life. He is actually a properly trained chef and would tell me about the proper way to make things. He used to tell me about friend rice, saying that if I watched most street vendors they did it wrong. His was better than anyone?s! He was offered work in a flash hotel in Singapore but turned it down as he did not want to leave Thailand.

Back in those days I would often go down to Pattaya for a few days and used to tell him about the trips. I was saddened when he told me he had never seen the sea, ever!

Stick

Archived