Vientianne

Nervous_Dog

Well I guess someone should write a little about what we did and didn?t do in Laos last weekend.

Apart from the fact my mates, and I are obviously in need of serious rest, or perhaps we are getting older, we had a pretty good time, but we also slept a lot, fark I was working ok!

The flight there was pretty good, I was forced to sit besidde a 17 year old Swedish/Tunisian girl who DarLek almost lept over me to meet.

She was STUNNING, and later I met her by accident in my hotel in Vientianne again, where she yelled at me, "DOG Hug me NOW"

I did and boy, her crash bags where great!

But I digress!

Laos has changed, and we discovered some really odd and interesting sites. Leaving the DarLek in Thailand helped too!

Bruce discovered, arring a few days before me, that some hotels let girls stay, some don't, so we moved to a hotel that would allow visitors. Bozo and I arrived same time.

We lunched on the river bank on Saturday, along with our network engineer, and listened to music coming from various venues.

I had to bribe our restaurant to turn off their music, leaving only two sounds competing! ARGGHHHH

Turns out, after my engineer left, that one of the sound sources was a very new and disturbingly weird venue in Laos.

A riverside house/box that looked from the outside to look like a large toilet box, inside was a day time disco!

This is where the young kids go to party, and they seem to be very keen to party.

Rooms at the back, some kids still in Uni uniform even, with their pimps on hand.

Later on, at another riverside restaurant while waiting for Bruce to re join Bozo and I, we where asked by two very pretty young waitresses to join them at the Novatel Disco on Sunday night.

Sadly we?re leaving Sunday morning we told them, but they refused to come Saturday night, I think they already had bookings, but would love to be with us Sunday night!

Bruce was set up before hand with a local girl from a previous trip.

That left Bozo and I to wiz around on scooters, dam good fun, and notice all the available night spots.

And there are a LOT of disco?s. Bozo eventually wimped out leaving me to wonder alone chatting to young girls on moto?s.

It seems that disco?s are happy to let girls and katoey?s in from age 17 onwards, however the disco was also full of laos boys, straight I am sure, who may be part of the pimp situation we found at the day disco.

What was odd and funny was this huge number of Katoey?s on the street hustling, as well as in the disco.

Police had random check stops, but I only saw Laos?s being pulled over.

All in all, Loas in the last few months has changed rather suddenly to a more open, more fun venue.

Some technical points.

If travelling with a Thai person with ONLY Thai ID and you arrive after 4pm, you can;t get the "3 Day Visa" that day, as the hours for that are 7am - 4pm.

If they have a Thai passport no problem though, but will cost you $30/31 Vs 100 baht.

DOG

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I went ther last year for a visa run, and I stayed near the market. Maybe just me, but I found that town so dead and lacking any kind of life. It seemed they rolled up the streets @ 7 pm, maybe I was staying in the wrong area?

I have read all these glowing trip reports on Lonely Planet, and after seeing it for myself I wouldent return

Visited Vientiane recently and can recommend the bar/disco in the Mekong Hotel. Fishbowl-like room in the back was well-stocked with 30 sao lao. No glass viewing wall, you simply enter through the door right into the bowl. Three friends and I invited five of the gals to join us for a drink and they drank like fish. We polished off a bottle of Black in 40 minutes.

They knew of an after hours disco on the other side of town towards the bridge. In a residential area, the converted house had 100 motorcycles inside the walled compound. Place was SRO and rocking.

Mekong Hotel is across the street from the Novotel.

Cheers,

SD

Archived