Lenses

admirer_uk2005

There is a good shop at MBK, used equip' bottom floor (back window facing phayathai road taxi stand, sorry can't recall the name for now), and new stuff, 4th floor. Its a shop used by serious photographers, prices 10 to 20% over what you'd pay mail order in USA.

Will try to find the name, but location detail is most important, as I could not find it myself until my thai buddy came.

what lens are you looking at? jusr received a sigma 30mm/1.4. Nice :up:, but not as smooth as Canon, manually focussing. AF a bit noisier too.

Ooh, cheap indeed!

remember that digital sensors multiply the angle of view by 1,6X for canon non-pro dig. SLR cameras (1,5 for Nikon). so 70mm is actually 112mm, quite telephoto already. Buy a cheapo 35mm, or 28mm (1,6X= 56mm, 45mm, normal eye angle) lens for closer action.

BTW, it's always good to read a bit what people say about lenses, you can check a few comments about this lens you just got (APO or DL?) and others on this site. Dozens of comments on this specific model:

http://www.photographyreview.com/cat/lenses/35mm-zoom/PLS_3128_830crx.aspx

PS: I may sell my 18-55 and 28-105 canon, upgrading all my lenses. If you are interested, I am sure I will beat thai prices too. In LOS by Dec's end.

dddave said:

Not as important with lenses as with cameras, but most equipment bought in Thailand has Thailand only warranty.

The Nikon d50 is selling for close to the same price in the USA as it is in Thailand.

So is the D70, which oddly is MADE IN THAILAND!! you would think it would be cheaper to promote sales...but TIT...

the shaking will most likely blur many shots above 100mm (160mm on dig), unless you' re a super steady hands, or use a tripod.

What will be the use of the lens for? Candid, quick situation (see, aim, click) shots are going to be a tough one. Remember to hike the ISO on the camera, to help with shutter speed. After 160mm, nothing slower than 1/125secs, and rather the same number as the opening. get a hood too, for sun flares. remember the on-camera flash will not light up much further than 20ft at best, in nightlife situations.

I'd say the 28-135mm, with image stabilization (it works) would please you very much, somewhere around 350/400$.

Archived