Tourist season is canceled!

Yehtmae

chuckwoww said:

So you think keeping thousands of birds in crowded conditions is safer? I don't want to get into an argument about traditional farming methods because they went out the window ages ago. I'll let Prince Charles deal with all that stuff.

I think we can discuss the ethical issues of industrial farming, but in terms of being able to control the environment in which the birds live it is without a doubt a safer and more isolated environment. even though there are thousands in one place, that place is very well monitored ect.

As far as traditional farming goes it has been out the window since the industrial revolution, and is in no way able to support the population of the planet even if it still existed. It is all about population, and economy of scale at this point. Not that it is a good thing but we are past the point of going back unless something wipes out about 2/3 of the worlds population. I thought Prince Charles was into organic farming, which does not mean the same as traditional farming. There are some very large corprate type organic farming operations as well. Again economy of scale. No argument intended just sharing opinions.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last bird flu scare in Thailand the battery birds were getting culled too. Obviously somebody thought they were infected.

Is bird flu something new? Or just this strain? Surely wild birds have been mixing with domestic poultry for a long time. Has the pig connection been proved? So many questions with this bird flu...not enough solid answers.

As you say the world can no longer feed itself by traditional methods. Traditional farming is long gone and I think Prince Charles organic operation is highly mechanized.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2005-11-02-babyfood_x.htm

Seems to me the real losers are people who can't afford organic produce. They have to eat the pesticide rich vegetables and animals pumped full of growth hormones and anti-biotics. What does that do to people's immune systems? Maybe we're all going to mutate into a new species. :)

Archived