Tourist season is canceled!

Yehtmae

Dumsoda,

Chester's! Yeech! Horrible food! Reminds me of the old White Castle hamburger joints of my youth. :D A while back KFC in Surin (and elsewhere I assume) placed signs in their store stating that all KFC chicken is tested for bird flu. Doesn't matter though. From what I hear if the chicken is thoroughly cooked there is no problem with it.

Yeah, I forgot to mention the woman was a BKK resident, but supposedly is thought to have caught it outside of BKK. So little worries of it passing to others unless the virus mutates into an easily passed human flu virus transmitable in the air or through human to human contact. But if in the farang news it will probably cause a scare I'd say.

Remind me to take you to Celebrate restaurant when in Surin. Good food there, a bit pricey for Surin, but a nice clean place with good food and AC. Considered upscale. The middle class eat there quite a bit, or are seen there maybe I should say. Lots of teachers and such. Good curries!

Also I hear The Farang Connection restaurant/bar near the bus depot (owned by a Brit expat-nice friendly chap) has bought up the place next door to it and knocked out the wall and expanded substantially. Some good booze there and expats hanging around the place.

Cent

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CW,

Well, I feel it is overblown to a certain extent here, but it is also being overblown in the western press as well I feel. Seems the biggest cause for concern is the fact that the idiots who own the fighting cocks still sneak around the country with their fighting birds in their trunk, risking spreading the disease in bird flu-free provinces as well. We've had no problems with this in our area, Surin and the surrounding towns and villages ... yet. But if this continues and these dopes keep flaunting the restrictions on fowl movement I suspect it may one day spread. They still have much free range duck and chicken farming around here. Everyone in the villages has a few ducks, geese, and chickens running around underfoot. Even one guy with some turkeys in the next village over from ours.

They need to pass very strict laws on transporting fowl, and give the law some teeth with very prohibitive punishments for those caught trying to circumvent the fowl transport laws and regs. I'm talking about making a few morons as examples with serious jail time and fines when caught, to discourage others from doing the same. They do need to get this under control. Think of the damage to the tourism industry if there are a number of deaths in the capital or some tourist areas (already Kanchanaburi would be a place I'd avoid as a tourist likely) or if some farang tourists come down with the bird flu while on a holiday. The effects would cripple the tourist industry for some time I think.

I have told the wife and Sis they should be wearing rubber gloves now when preparing raw chicken products in the shop restaurant. And cleaning the chopping block and area/table around it with a disinfectant. It pays to be careful.

Cent

I don't see small scale free range chickens and duck farming as a big problem. People have been raising them that way in Asia for generations. It's the brooder and egg industry that needs looking at...thousands of birds kept in unhealthy conditions, fed hormones and God knows what crap. It's even worse in China.

Personally, I think the fear of bird flu is much greater than the actual threat. Don't get me wrong, it's a very serious problem, but I think all the discussion in the media is causing more fear than is warranted. Couldn't have come at a better time for Prez Bush, though; fear is his best political tool (besides Karl Rove, who's just a tool :onfire: ), and it helps to distract the public from all of the bad press he's been getting lately.

Another thing, I've been reading about possible travel bans by US:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051102/ap_on_he_me/bush_flu

Wonder how bad it has to get in Thailand for the US gov't to ban travel there? :: :dunno::fever: Man, that could seriously ruin my day! Anyway, for all you chicken-fuckers out there, cut that shit out! :: :grinyes: ::

monkey39

chuckwoww said:

I don't see small scale free range chickens and duck farming as a big problem. People have been raising them that way in Asia for generations. It's the brooder and egg industry that needs looking at...thousands of birds kept in unhealthy conditions, fed hormones and God knows what crap. It's even worse in China.

It is exactly these conditions that cause such outbreaks. The intermingling of ducks, chickens, pigs, in close proximity of each other. The fact that it has been done for generations is neither here nor there. I have read that if the asian countries, espcialy China would simply seperate the ducks and pigs, we would almost eliminate the flu. (not bird flu but seasonal flu) The mutations virtualy always take place in ducks, (wild and domestic) humans cant get it from ducks but pigs can. And humans can get it from get it from pigs. Yet the argument that it is the tradition to raise them this way is still accepted as culturaly sensitive or some such pap. As much as you may hate industrial animal raising there is no comparing the safety of the two. Granted they are not perfect but in this case much the better option.

So you think keeping thousands of birds in crowded conditions is safer? I'll take your word for it. I just don't know enough about intermingling etc. or how bird flu mutates. I do recall reading about ducks and pigs not being a good mix. I don't want to get into an argument about traditional farming methods because they went out the window ages ago. I'll let Prince Charles deal with all that stuff.

Archived