Tourist season is canceled!

Yehtmae

Tourists 'may have bird flu'

Thursday, October 27, 2005 Posted: 0524 GMT (1324 HKT)

(CNN) -- Preliminary results indicate that three citizens from a French territory east of Madagascar have tested positive for the H5N1 virus, according to authorities in Paris.

The three, from the island of Reunion, recently returned from Thailand, where they visited a bird park before coming down with flu-like symptoms.

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/conditions/10/27/birdflu.main/

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strong doubt about tourist bird flu claim

BANGKOK: -- Thai and international health authorities on Thursday questioned the likelihood of three French tourists contracting bird flu while visiting a Thai zoo, as has been reported from Paris.

"The possibility is quite low, unless the tourists were having very close contact with the diseased birds," said Somchai Peeratakorn, resident avian influenza expert for the World Health Organization (WHO) in Bangkok. "But who knows what a tourist can do," he added.

French officials on Wednesday announced that three French citizens from Reunion island, a French territory in the Indian Ocean, have possibly been infected with bird flu during a trip to Thailand.

The three people visited a bird park in Thailand, said French Health Minister Xavier Bertrand after a crisis cabinet meeting on avian influenza.

The first tests indicated a positive result for the dreaded H5N1 virus that has killed 13 people in Thailand over the past two years.

The cases are only suspected to be positive, the viral strain in the infections has not been confirmed. Those affected are being treated with anti-viral medications.

If it is proven that the three French tourists contracted bird flu in Thailand, where the 13th bird flu victim died just last week, the impact on Thailand's tourism industry could be dire.

"It is impossible that they could have been infected just because they went to the zoo," Charal Trinvuthipong, assistant to Thailand's agriculture minister Sudarat Keyuraphat told reporters.

He noted that people who contract the deadly H5N1 virus must have had close contact with infected birds, such as touching their saliva or mucus or slaughtering the birds.

To date there have been no confirmed cases of human-to-human transmission of the H5N1 virus, though health officials fear the influenza virus will inevitably mutate to allow for human-to-human transmission, a possibility that could lead to a deadly pandemic that will no doubt start in Asia.

--DPA / Bangkok Post 2005-10-27

Bird Flu Hoax Makes Donald Rumsfeld $1 Million Richer

Tue Nov 1, 7:00 AM ET

(PRWEB) - (PRWEB) November 1, 2005 -- Last month

President Bush stated that a minimum of 200,000 to a worst case scenario of 2 million deaths would occur in the US alone from the bird flu epidemic. This belief was used to justify the immediate purchase of 20 million doses of Tamiflu at $100 per dose which comes to a staggering $2 billion.

While administration officials believe drug therapy will help decrease the deaths in a bird flu pandemic, Dr. Mercola who is the founder of mercola.com the second most visited non-government health site after WebMD, states that, "Simple lifestyle changes can enhance your immune system to provide a virtual guarantee that you will not get the flu."

http://tinyurl.com/cypet

CW,

Just saw in yesterday's Post that one woman was diagnosed as having the bird flu. Supposedly was in a bird flu hotspot with her husband, fighting cocks was it? Also see they have two kids under watch as well as suspected of having possible bird flu. This, once getting into the mainstram farang news, could be very bad news for Thai tourism, whether true or not, and even informing that the woman caught the bird flu elsewhere in the country before coming to BKK. I know my own sister cancelled a trip here with my nephew just because of the reports overseas of the bird flu deaths here in Thailand. (Silly woman. I tried to reassure her and calm her fears, but she went to Spain instead. :: Too bad, I was looking forward to their visit and showing them a good time here.) Could affect general tourism here as bad as the SARS scare a couple years back I'd think. (I know the punters will still come! :D)

Cent

Cent,

Saw it reported on TV news here in Oz a couple of days ago, one 50 y.o. Thai woman confirmed new case.

It really made me think about my planned trip next month....Like for 1 nano second :o :: ::

Please remind me NOT to have a chicken Pizza when I hit Surin...555

Just thought of another Plus..... won't have to visit that bloody repulsive Chicken joint (Chester's??) near the donut stand in Petkasam Plaza...LOL :: :) ::

Archived