Pre Nuptual agreements

MikeN

Things have gotten to the stage where I wanted to talk about a pre-nuptual agreement, but my g/f did n't seem to understand (or want to understand ?LOL) what I was talking about. I'm sure I read somewhere that these were common in Thailand, or is this only with hi-so thais ?

Can anybody tell me what pre-nuptual agreement is in Thai please. Phonetic and in thai text would be nice.

I have a few farang friends who have been married 2-3 times and this concept is alien to them. You know why?

Because they are in love ! See . . . this girl really loves them. But didn't the previous girl, or the one before that?

And since I know/have known wife before, I hear both sides - after divorce. "He is an idiot, drunk." And "She is an idiot, drunk". Each side says the same thing about the other side.

If I understand both sides, then each has married an idiot drunk - multiple times.

My suggestion is put as many assets as possible in a Swiss or Caymen Islands bank account only accessed by you.

In fact, that is a good question for a Post. How does one put assets in a Swiss bank or Caymen Islands bank?

If you are marrying in Thailand, when you do the paperwork at the Amphur you list any prenuptuals in the wedding agreement/story. To explain, you get 2 documents. Firstly a typical marriage certificate. Secondly a document that outlines how long you have known each other, kids etc and on this you can list your property you consider 'yours' as existing before the marriage. The system works quite well here i am told on this.

To be clear, it is not a pre nup agreement, it is a form that incorporates it, I think the form is KR2 if I remember correctly. As they are preparing the form at the Amphur they will interrogate you (that is how it translated!) on these matters and incorporate them into the paper. Over and done in 10 minutes. You do not do this form yourself and take it, they do it at the Amphur when you get there.

As I said, talking to some Thais at work the system works fairly well and is quite enforceable (not that I would take the risk - I keep everything offshore and the house when we buy it will be via a company).

As regards farang rights in court, I have been involved in 2 different courts here (same case & I was the plaintiff not the defendant I might add!) and i received superb fair treatment and my farang status was never an issue.

Archived