Krungthep

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Do the Thais ever refer to the city as "Bangkok" amongst themselves? Or is it always "Krungthep"

Campbell's Fundamentals of Thai Language, p. 27 (Fifth Edition) lists two other names used to refer to Bangkok: Pra Nakorn (Chief City) and Meuang Looang (Capital City).

Thanks for more replies.

So I should start refering the city as Krungthep to endear myself to the Thais wink.gif" border="0

It strikes me as amusing (not in any negative way) that Thais don't insist on Krungthep to the world, unlike the Chinese (Peking to Beijing, etc) or Indians (Madras to Chennai) as few examples.

Would it not have been nice if the present Interior Minister ignored the existence of "Bangkok"? laugh.gif" border="0

Ciao!

micsnee

quote:

Originally posted by Good Thai Girl:

We always say "KrungThep".

Hi Good Thai Girl (or any other Thais or even longtime expat residents like the Flashermac smile.gif" border="0

Do you (the Thais) have any particular thoughts on the foreigners calling the city "Bangkok"? Or is it more or less just accepted that way?

An example I can think of is San Francisco: most residents abhor when others call it "Frisco". OK, not altogether similar, but I'm sure at least Old hippie will know what I mean.

Ciao!

micsnee

quote:

An example I can think of is San Francisco: most residents abhor when others call it "Frisco".

No shit. It's "the city." You can get away with "San Fran." But "Frisco" is right out.

But to broaden the original question to GTG, what are the things that Farang say in Thai that Thais find irritating? (And I'm not talking about Farang whose repertiore consists of "Last night I mau maak. My girlfriend baa-baa bo-bo.")

A Thai to Thai conversation will go along the lines of "...Krungthep..."

A Thai to Farang conversation will go along the lines of "...Bangkok..."

A Thai to Farang (who knows Krungthep) will go along hte lines of "...Krungthep"

smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

Sanukboot

quote:

Originally posted by micsnee:

Do you (the Thais) have any particular thoughts on the foreigners calling the city "Bangkok"? Or is it more or less just accepted that way?

Micsnee, SanukBoot's reply is spot on.

What offends me (at least, and other Thais who have heard this word. I don't know how many of them though.) is the word "Bangcock". I saw this word the first time as a username on this board. The second time was when Bangkok was mentioned as "Bangcock" in an Indian movie shown during the last BKK film festival a couple of months ago. I was stunned...and a second later - MAD ! mad.gif" border="0 It is very insensitive at the least. How do you feel as a person living in a city called "Bangcock". Living in "Bangkok" as a Thai female is as hard as it is !

Archived