SIM card costs

EasySt

Stupid question,

When I land in Bkk in a couple weeks me and my buddy want to be up and running with our Cell phones ASAP. Is it basically the same price to get new SIM cards + airtime at the Airport or at the first 7-11 we see as opposed to someplace like 6th floor MBK?

I do not think 7-11s have Sim cards,

They have refill cards ,

Sim cards at MBK or any cell shop , there are a couple cell shops on Soi 5 past Gullivers .

I never saw SIM cards at the airport, but I usually am more in a rush to get out of there , than I am looking for Sim cards :)

same price you can never be sure with any product LOS or globally can you?

what really matters for SIM cards though is the cost of using then like price of (local/international) calls per minute & costs of local&intl. sms.

not sure current deals but used to be in area 0.5-1bt/min for cheapest(orange,dtac) & 1-10bt per sms!

sim cards costs around 300bt & most/all of the money should be available as airtime...

OCgringo said:

I do not think 7-11s have Sim cards,

They have refill cards ,

cards :)

7/11 do sell simms, some of them at least, bought one in the shop on corner of suk soi 19, more expensive than MBK but not if you include the cost of getting there. I think Happy simm card was something like 250 baht

• 2 weeks later...

Orange does have a shop at Terminal 1. Turn left when you enter the arrivals lobby, go past the exchanges and the limo booths and you will see it quite far down on the left hand side (after the metal barriers).

I used to buy a 1-2 Call SIM but Orange is much better. Last time I bought a 1-2 Call SIM it cost Bt.500 and had Bt.40 free calls, you couldn't make international calls on it and once the expiry date past (even if you still had a credit balance) it couldn't be reactivated. I usually tried to top it up enough before leaving LOS so that the expiry date was after my next anticipated arrival date but that didn't always work out.

An Orange SIM (I bought one last month) is also Bt.500 but you get Bt.400 free calls, you can use it for international calls and it can be reactivated after the expiry date has past. So all in all a much better deal.

Certainly when I bought my first one, which was probably about 3 years ago you couldn't phone overseas and I never thought to ask if that had changed when I bought the next ones. Perhaps you also now get more than Bt.40 free calls otherwise why would anyone buy 1-2 Call when Orange gives you Bt.400 calls?

Archived