Arrival Hell

BrownFox77

In a Nightlife Post Gadfly mentions High Season has started. Could be as in all the years I've been coming to LOS last night when I arrived at Don Muang was the worst.

Came in on China Air out of Tapei and got delayed due to Thunderstorms at the airport. Normally with this flight, which arrives 15:50, I get to the hotel 1700-1730 or so. Last night didn't get to the hotel until 2100! There were huge lines at Immigration such that by the time I got thru my luggage was on the floor in a pile of bags with others from my flight (luckily I found everything).

Took nearly 2 hours just to get a taxi out of the airport - and that's even with paying a premium for a "Limo". It was a huge mess of angry crowds with everyone watching the street for the rare Taxi speeding back to pick up another fare.

Later I made it to Cowboy and sure enough there was barely seating room left in some clubs - in Sharks there wasn't a single seat, Doll house was packed, luckily I found a seat at Sheba's in time for the "L" show, followed by spending many 20 Baht bills in a most excellent way at the "Bar with No Name" - with the help of fair Maiden whom I took back to the hotel later on was a great way to be welcomed back to LOS and made the arrival Hell all worth it of course... ::

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

me thinks you just had a very bad day - dude we're not even into december yet where the folks usually start to arive in the highest numbers & frankly I cant remember ever seeing such numbers at the airport & yes I usually get in at 3pm'ish on a saturday :)

filled seats at gogo now thats something I can relate to & so can the girls :hubba:

glad you have a good :beer:

Sign of the times I guess. I went through almost the exact same deal at the airport way back in August. My flight got in right around 3pm, walked up to immigration and every single counter was open and full, with the lines spilling back into the walkway. Took over 2 hours just to get stamped in. Came as a bit of a shock to me as it's never taken more than 30mins or so to get thru previous.

Actually I have an idea why the immigration wait may be longer this year than previous ones. They've introduced digital photo'ing of every single visitor so that adds crucial time to each stamping in process. I'd say it may add 25-50% time, so expect long lines indeed. 2 hours though that sound sunreal ::

Someone always use the slowest line is it? :neener:

You're probably right about the photos, but the lines were still hell. I'd guesstimate there was 100-125 people at each station, and they were all open. Hit an (un)lucky time where a bunch of flights arrived around the same time I guess. A guy I met on way over emailed me the next day and said it took him almost 3 hours to get through, so I may have had the second slowest line. ::

solution in 3 words: Hotel supplied limo.

..for 800 Thb your driver is waiting as soon as you exit customs,

in the mass you normally slink through .. .. a guy with a plackard with your name on it & a volvo up in the parking garage.

pick up a bottle of what ever in your layover's duty free area,

pull it out of your carry on & relax on the way in.

Martel XO is my usual investment .. looks good in the room too.

will not help with traffic or thunderstorms.

the night time dirve to town is always way to long!

Archived