Super basic English for Thais?

doxx

Im guessing a lot of you who actually lives in Thailand full time may work as english teachers and so here is a small request.

I was asked by a friend in Thailand to help getting her some basic training materials. From what I gathered from her bad english (even asked her to write in Thai so I could better understand) she is going to help a group of thai children to learn basic english.

This means stuff like: "My name is" etc

My problem is I could easily come up with something in english but since I cannot write in Thai there would be no translation or explanations so the stuff would be useless.

Request: Can anyone help providing maybe existing basic materials in .doc or .pdf format?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
doxx said:

Im guessing a lot of you who actually lives in Thailand full time may work as english teachers and so here is a small request.

And there are also a lot of us who don't...

doxx said:

I was asked by a friend in Thailand to help getting her some basic training materials. From what I gathered from her bad english (even asked her to write in Thai so I could better understand) she is going to help a group of thai children to learn basic english.

This is the reason why the standard of English in the country is still so poor - the (local) teachers themselves don't understand what they're trying to teach, nor can they pronounce it...

Another point (which may not go down too well with some English teachers) is the fact that many farang teachers cannot speak Thai and may be guilty of the same sin of making the students 'parrot' the lessons. In some schools, the 'helper' local teachers in the class have to explain to the kids after the lesson; in most cases they're almost as lost as the students themselves.

The kids themselves don't really bother; most expect to pass anyway. If a large majority actually do not make the grade, the marks will be 'adjusted' in the correct direction, and/or the English teacher may well be looking for another place to teach. It's a sad fact of life.

doxx said:

My problem is I could easily come up with something in english but since I cannot write in Thai there would be no translation or explanations so the stuff would be useless.

There are many English teaching texts in the major bookshops. Take your pick. As for second language ability, I rest my case.

Archived