Land of Smiles or Land of SEX??

Ok, we all realise some of the names of Thai cities can translate into english as some very amusing kind of names like 'Bangkok' and 'Phuket'......... Does this some how reflect to the english speaking populus of the world that this place is some kind of Sexual Utopia? Well ppl it doesnt end there, try this on for size........

In the written Fijian language the letter 'C' is pronounced as a hard 'th' sound as you would pronounce the word 'the' or 'they'. And the Fijian word for fuck is 'Cai' pronounced 'Thai'. I realise the 'h' in the word 'Thai' is silent but you do get some funny looks from Fijian kids when they first look at the word 'Thailand' and they will be very reluctant to attempt to say the word aloud. Its a bit of joke amongst fijian guys, when we talk about 'Cailand'.......".....Hey, we go to Cailand eh? get a bit of the old Bangkok?...........awwwww Phuket, lets just go to the pub man!" laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0

[ January 06, 2002: Message edited by: fredCunty ]

I just want to state for the record, there is a lot more to Thailand then sex. It is also a frame of mind. Summed up perhapes in the "national phrase" "Mai Pen Rai." I love the attitude of the place, and the natural beauty. I think some times we concentrate on just the sex, and we are doing ourselves a diservice when we do. Just my 2 satangs worth.

Archived