Learning Thai

I am serious about attempting to learn the Thai language. I find it easier to pick up through listening to tapes/CD's in the car, rather than reading books.

Can anyone recommend a well structured course I can buy in the UK?

quote:

Originally posted by seasider:

I am serious about attempting to learn the Thai language. I find it easier to pick up through listening to tapes/CD's in the car, rather than reading books.

Can anyone recommend a well structured course I can buy in the UK?

Dear Seasider,

I am back in the states now after my 3rd trip to LOS is 2001. I spent over half the year there, my last time 3.5 months.

I took a course at Thong Lo Language school in BKK, get a lot of help from GFs and am studying everyday now. I have books and tapes and the Matthew Courage Thai CD.

I am making progress, but I don't believe there is a quick way. First you need some vocabulary and phrases and tapes may be a way to get that. Soon you come to the point I am at now: You must learn the alphabet and you MUST learn to read the words you know.

The pronouciation is built into the spelling. If you don't pronouce it right you won't be understood. If you see/learn a word that you write as "mai," which of the 5 pronouciations is it? We should stop writing in English ASAP because we will have to forget

This is a longish road. The MC CDROM is really excellent, but it an intermediate to advanced tool. I have only just arrived at the point that I can work with it.

Some excellent books with tape:

Thai for Lovers - Ajee

Thai for Beginners - Becker

Indispensible dictionary:

Mini English-Thai Thai-English Dictionary - Gordon Allison 60 baht!! (When you hear it spoken in Thai you can look it up in this 3"X4" wonder.)

A new book:

Making Out in Thai - John Clewley

Real phrases of things you want to say to real people. Not like a tourist phrase book.

The Matthew Courage CDROM, Thai Interactive Learning System. Designed for the US Military and has a lot of military vocabulary that gets in the way. Still it is a great tool! It may leave you scratching your head for awhile though. I bought it from their website You would have to search for it. Cost me $68 as I recall.

Finally, the new website looks great!

http://www.thailandlife.com/language/index.html

This kid and his school chums are good.

Anyway, I know that is not what you asked, but I wanted to get it out anyway. File it for future reference if nothing else.

Choke dee krap,

Zane

I also have the Courage CDRom, I agree it is more of an advanced tool. I do find it somewhat difficult to use though. I paid almost $100.00 for it with the god awful shipping charges and taxes, from an outfit in LA. Shoot me aprivate message and I'll see what I can do about getting you a copy made, save some money that way! I am also trying to get a copy of something called "Rosseta Stone" or something like that.

I have the rosetta stone thai explorer program. It is ok but you need to be quite advanced to use all of it. For example it can use thai script and nowhere does it explain the basics (gor gai, kor kai etc)

I have ADSL here so I guess I can zip it up somewhere for ya and I use morpheous to share files.

PM me and i will see what we can arrange.

I also have another called Talk now Thai and a nice Thai/English English/Thai Dictionary for the computer as well as the courage stuff.

I began learning through the "Thai For Beginners" book by B.P. Becker. It's got three audio tapes that are meant to accompany the book, assisting with speaking and listening. Probably not appropriate if you want to learn ONLY from tape, but I found that book and the next one in the series to be and excellent way to learn the language.

Archived