Two Words for Head

zanemay

Originally posted by Stickman:

"I have always understood it that hua is "normal" language and see sa is "high" language."

True. As is very often the case, the common word is a word of Tai origin, the "higher" one is Sanskrit-derived (Skt. shiras = head, crown, summit).

Originally posted by Pom Michael:

"I have heard girls joke about Sisaket being called "Two Heads". Now it makes sense."

Maybe it doesn't. I think the girls were only punning. "Si" should be from Sanskrit "Sri", noble, exalted; "saket" should mean "hair-wash" (no kidding), just as it does in the name of Wat Saket, Bangkok ("kesha" = Skt. for hair). Traditionally, when a king returned from a battle or war he underwent a ceremony called "Saket", a ritual washing of his hair.

In everyday Thai, "to wash one's hair" is "sa phom", but if you really want to impress your girlfriend, try using "sa ket" - makes you sound a bit like a scholar or an aristocrat!

[ January 14, 2002: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

Scum B,

The way I understood it was that the "two heads" were from :

Sisaket :see sa (Sisa) and ket (or get).

But now looking closely I see that most English maps show the name as Si Saket with this separation between syllables.

The Thai writing is like you show, Sri Saket.

I wonder how to explain (in Thai) to a half dozen 6th - 9th grade educated girls that they are wrong !!!! Probably just a play on words / sounds as you said.

Thanks for the clarification.

Archived