Thai Schools

cavanami

6000 bhat is cheap for kindergarden or primary school. A catholic school would go for around 30K per year, an international school would be 300K. 6k is nothing to worry about.

The only really cheap schools would be governement and temple schools. Althought there are some good government schools ( satit, science schools etc) most village schools could not hold a candle. You do certainly get what you pay for unless you are a powerful family that can get the child on the "old boys network" school

cavanami said:

So, what is the real deal?

Is the tuition free?

I can see the books, clothes, etc expense.

Is the tuition free?

Yes, the school is free. But if you don't have uniform, books, transporation you don't go.

Even a couple thousand baht cash is lot for a landless upcountry family, and there a lots of them.

TH

I am in the south side of Bangkok and see many, many schools.

Some appear to be private but I think that other are the government schools.

Thailand is like the west in many ways as far as schools are concerned. The real education has to be in the home. In Thailand I see that many families ship their children to some fancy private school and expect that the school will turn out a genius for them while the family does zero at the home.

I try to convince my better 2/3's that the school is a very small part of the education process. It must be done in the home, but very difficult to get across, so leaves me rather stuck, but hey, it's their country, they can do what they want with it.

Archived