What city and place names mean

I find this interesting as well!

Hopefully, some of the "better knowing" will come by here and fill us in on a few.

Meanwhile, I can recommend "Thai Ways" by Denis Segaller (The Post Publishing Company, 3rd Ed, 2001, ISBN: 974-202-006-X). The book is basically about social life, manners and customs in Thailand. But there is also a chapter devoted to names, words and language. He cover some cities and parts of Bangkok and it's meaning in English. (You'll find the book in any of the Asian Bookstore branches.)

A few examples:

Bang Pa-In = "Village Where I Met the Girl Called In"

Don Muang = "The City's High Ground"

...and...

Sukhumvit Rd. = "The Road of Wisdom" smile.gif" border="0

Straycat

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: Straycat ]

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a few which immediately spring to mind:

Ang Thong = Basin of Gold

Aranyaprathet = Land of Forest/Jungle

Ayutthaya = Not to be Warred upon

Chantaburi = City of the Moon

Chaiyaphoom = Land of Victory

Chiang Mai = New City

Hua Hin = Headrock

Kamphaeng Phet = Diamond (City) Wall

Kanachanaburi = City of Gold

Kraburi - not sure; could be "City of the Elephant Trunk (kara in Sanskrit); the town is located at the "elephant trunk" end of Thailand

Lopburi = City of Profit

Mukdahan = Necklace of Pearls

Nakhon Nayok = City of the Warrior Chiefs (nayaka in Sanskrit also happens to mean "actor")

Nakhon Phanom = City of the Hill (phanom is Khmer for hill)

Nakhon Prathom = First City

Nakhon Ratchasima = City at the Border of the Kingdom

Nakhon Sawan = Heavenly City

Nakhon Si Thammarat = City of the Noble King of the Dhamma

Narathiwat = Dwelling Place of Intelligent Men

Petchaburi = City of Diamonds

Phitsanulok = World (Place) of Vishnu

Phuket = Hill (from Malay bukit)

Prachinburi = Ancient City

Ranong = Place of Much Water

Sankhlaburi - I'm not sure here; tracing it back to Sanskrit it might either be "City of the Massacre" or "City of the Mixed People" - maybe

Sukhothai = Dawn of Happiness

Surat Thani = City of the Good People

Thonburi = City of Riches

Ubon Ratchathani = Royal City of the Lotus

Udon Thani = Northern City

Yasothon = Yashodhara (the name of Buddha's wife)

Many of the town names in Central and Northeastern Thailand are derived from Sanskrit words. Not so in the North, where one can often trace them back to the old Lanna language. The South has a few Sanskrit-derived names, some are from Malay.

To add to my former post:

The names of Thais always have a meaning (of course). Some are quite interesting.

My favourite (hahahaha!) Thai person's name is Thaksin Shinawatra. This should be from Sanskrit Dakshina Jinapatra. "Dakshina" means south, and by extension, "right" (because in olden times the east was considered "up", so south would be on the right-hand side). It can also mean "a gift to a temple/to the gods".

Jinapatra means "the winning person/personality".

So we get something like, Mr.Right with the Winning Personality, or Gift to the Gods with the Winning Personality.

But no good gift to the Thai people, I fear!

Hi Scum

Welcome back.

And thanks for the info. I like staring at maps.

Do you see Sanskrit influence on place names extending out into neighboring regions as well -- into parts of Cambodia, Laos etc? (Of course not necessarily in the Thai language form.)

Ciao!

micsnee

quote:

Originally posted by Scum_Baggio:

Nakhon Nayok = City of the Warrior Chiefs (nayaka in Sanskrit also happens to mean "actor")

Gotta jump in here. You're probably right. But there is another assumption how the name might be derived from.

In the olden days, Nakhon Nayok was very poor becaue of the bad plantation years - so poor that the governor at the time didn't levy its subjects. As you know that they ususally levied tax on the agricultural production.

The word "Na" in this case means "plantation field", and "yok" means "lift up" in this case meaning "(the tax was)waiven ".

Sooo..Nakhon Nayok could mean "the city where the tax was waiven" or something like that.

Make sense ?

Just would like to add a few words to your list.

Singburi = City of Lion. It was derived from Sanskrit - "Singha Pura", where Singha = Lion and "Pura"= city. The same origin as "Singapore" and "Singha" Beer!

Supanburi = Golden city. Supan = gold, buri came from, again, Sanskrit = city.

Nontaburi = City of Merry

Kalasin = Black water/sea. Kala = black. Sin was written as "Sindhu" in Thai (just like the name of the river in India)but with the mute sound at the second syllable so it is pronounced as "Sin" = water,sea,ocean.

Samut Prakarn = Sea Fortress.

"Samutara" became "samut" meaning =Sea.

Prakarn= fortress.

That's it for now.

BkkShaggy,

I agree with all your translations except the one for Nakhon Nayok. It's Sanskrit Nagara Nayaka, I'm certain. Your interpretation is unlikely as it would combine a Sanskrit word (nagara) with a Thai one. I don't think you would find any such combination.

The combination Nakhon Phanom, which I mention, is more excusable, as the Khmer word phanom is - as far as I know - of Indian (Tamil) descent.

Nonthaburi is, to be precise, The City of Joy/Delight (Sanskrit Nanda-Puri). By some interesting extension, nanda also means "son" - after all the birth of a son in India has always been a matter of great rejoicing.

In Indian mythology, Nanda is also the name of Krishna's foster-father.

Micsnee,

yes, there are a few such names, but really not many. I have a map of Thailand in front of me which shows bits of the neighbouring countries, so let's see ...

Suwannakhet (Laos) - Golden Region/Land.

Now, some maps show this place as Sawannakhet, which would mean Heavely Region, but I think the former version is the correct one.

My map shows a town called Uthomphon near Suwannakhet; this may well be Sanskrit Uttamaphala, Highest Gain/Fruit.

Then I see a cave called Mahaxai, which should be Sanskrit Mahajaya, Great Victory.

Without going through all the places on the map, I'd say that only a small minority are of Sanskrit origin.

In Cambodia I would only expect very few Sanskrit-derived names. Khao Phra Viharn, as a temple, naturally has some Skt. influence: Khao of course is Thai for mountain, and Phra Viharn should be Sanskrit Vara Vihara, "excellent Vihara". I'm sure you know what a Vihara/Viharn is in Buddhist architecture.

The name Cambodia is probably derived from Skt. Kambu-ja, "The Descendants of Kambu". Kambu was a legendary Indian king who ruled over a part of Northwestern India - which in the ancient historical context actually means Northwest Pakistan or/and Afghanistan.

The Kambu-ja migrated into the region of today's Cambodia.

In Myanmar I don't expect any Sanskrit-related names; and I think there are only very few such names in Malaysia. That said, the very name Malaysia is possibly a contracted form of Suwarna-mali-giri, "Mountains of the Golden Flowers".

Always at your service,

SB

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

BkkShaggy,

just a few small corrections and additions:

Thai "samut" is from Skt. "samudra".

There's also a town call Samut Songkhram, literally the "Ocean of Slaughter/Massacre". In today's Thai, "songkhram" of course means war, but the orininal Skt. form (sanhara) means massacre, bloodbath. Why the town name was coined - I haven't got a clue. Some historical occurence?

The river Sindhu or Indus is in today's Pakistan.

The word Sindhu is also the origin of the word Hindu - Hindu originally meant nothing but "a person living beyond (east) of the Indus".

BkkShaggy,

What about Kabinburi? Could it be - as I suspect - "The Reddish/Brown City"?

"Kapila" in Skt. literally means "monkey-coloured", in other words reddish or brown. It also was the name of a Hindu sage (supposedly an incarnation of Vishnu) and is still given to Indian (male) children. Know the cricketer Kapil Dev?

Kabinburi could then of course also be "Kapila's Town".

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

Archived