web based business in Thailand...

FAT_AUSSIE

A point made by another poster recently leads me to ask?

If a person is conducting his business activities per say in Australia, recieving payment and paying tax in Australia although living in Thailand for a considerable amount of each financial year conducting his business over the internet, would this sort of activity draw negative attention from the Thai powers that be?

FA...

Interesting point, in fact you can have a "Representative Office" in Thailand which doesn;t pay revenue, but it's dam hard to get, a Thai friend showed me how he did it.

You have the question of Visa's but Aussies now get preferental treatment,

If all the transaction based off shore, I think you;d be quite safe.

After all a company a nd a person are two different legal entities

DOG

Anyone care to make any comments regarding the tax and legal implications of the following hypothetical scenario:

UK national living in Thailand on a retirement visa, some income is derived from a website built before retirement. The site is hosted on a UK server, the payment service solution is based in the USA and funds are held there untill transfered to the UK from where they are withdrawn in Thailand via ATM card. The comodity sold is 'information' which is digitally downloaded automaticly from the UK server when payment is received so no intervention is required on a day to day basis. No 'work' takes place in Thailand other than monotoring the status of the bank accounts and making a cash transferes when required.

Over to the board.

Dunno about Thailand, but have never been one for confusing govt with too much information, as a matter of "principle" ::.

"They" leave me alone and I leave them alone. Seems to work ok for me.......... and saves a lot of time and paperwork for both of us.

Hypothetically speaking of course............

My job has bugger all to do with Thailand, im simply lucky enough to have a nice boss who lets me do my job out here; since 95% of my job is email based, i just sit on the laptop all day, out of harms way. My friend's lawyer advised me that legaly, work is work in Thailand and should be declared so either way, for the system to decide if i should pay tax etc.... even charity work needs to be declared (legaly) he also advised that i would be daft to do so, as who's gona care anyhow? The thought of declaring my work never crossed my mind, i just asked him out of curiousity.

I dont think the powers that be are going to care too much to be honest. And even if they did decide to scrutanize you out of example, they probably wouldnt have the time or resource to do too much about it.

The thought of declaring my work never crossed my mind, i just asked him out of curiousity.

I think you did 100% the right thing........... in finding out what the rules are.

Now you know to keep your gob shut down the pub (including with the other farang) or at least to give them an acceptable story. IMHO their is never a reason to give someone something they could use against you. :D :D :D

• 4 weeks later...

David66UK,

In the scenario you outlined, the resident is not working, so there does not appear to be an issue. Best not to make one of it.

(Reminds me of when I went to the city planning office and asked "Do I need a permit for this patio cover?" I must have caught the inspector on a bad day - he insisted that I tear the patio cover down, then he went on to demand that I replace a 100 meter section of adjacent fencing. Sometimes its better not to ask.)

I have kept my ear to the ground on this one for years. It seems as long as you don't have any enemies turning you in or yourself waving what you are doing to the powers that be, you will be fine. However, it might be of interest to be aware of this from the Thai BOI :

Individuals residing for 180 days or more in Thailand for any calendar year are also subject to income tax on income from foreign sources if that income is brought into Thailand during the same taxable year that they are a resident.

Neo said:

...<snip>..Individuals residing for 180 days or more in Thailand for any calendar year are also subject to income tax on income from foreign sources if that income is brought into Thailand during the same taxable year that they are a resident.

Thanks for the info. Evidently just have any income deposited in an acc't in a home bank, then transfer to Thailand. Although, such income would surely be taxable in your home country (if declared...).

Archived