Sexy accents in Thai?

bibblies

So exactly what is an 'English neutral' accent anyway? I would argue that to me as an American, it would be that spoken by predominately WASP in northern US cities. And I don't mean New York!

The English speak English with an English accent.

And to me, almost any accent (when she speaks English) on a girl is kind of sexy. Especially those from the South in the USA.

quote:

Originally posted by bibblies:

So, Good Thai Girl, whose accents should I be trying to emulate? Actors, TV people, etc? I've heard that speaking softly is best..

Yes, softly is better than shout ! Doing something loudly is impolite here.

Are you trying to emulate a charactor? Please don't. Just speak with the right intonation is enough.

NutGirl :

"I've noticed when you guys farang speak Thai it sound like you guys come from Isan. REALLY! You can ask your girl"

You have a great sense of humour.I love that!

quote:

So exactly what is an 'English neutral' accent anyway?

a "neutral" English accent is supposed to be either RP (Received Pronunciation, i.e. the pronunciation you receive at the British public schools), also known as Oxford English, or Standard American English, based on the pronunciation of the midwest (Chicago is a good approximation) as opposed to the accents of the East Coast and the West (Denver, California). RP is - even today - what you will usually hear from the BBC, SAE is the standard of the American TV networks. Teaching English to foreigners is based on one of these two pronunciations, e.g. Hong Kong teaches RP (and British English), Taiwan teaches SAE (and American English).

You will usually not teach foreigners a Kiwi accent or a Southern drawl.

quote:

Originally posted by iuytrede:

a "neutral" English accent is supposed to be either RP (Received Pronunciation, i.e. the pronunciation you receive at the British public schools).

That would be an Oxford English accent which is not neutral. My accent or lack of one is neutral. I lived all over the UK and overseas when I was growing up and also since, No one can ever place where I am from. When I was teaching my students used to remark that it was easy to understand me.

Archived