Learning the language

Hi Ron,

I would recommend that you start with just tuning your ear to the language. That is, listen to it at any opportunity you can get; tapes, movies, music etc. It doesn't necessarily have to make any sense to you but it will give you an idea of how the language sounds, the intonations, tones and rhythm etc. This is what I did when I started learning and I think it really helped. But at the same time I had started to learn to read and write (with some instruction - but really, there are many good books out there that will assist you with this). I did this before I even spoke in Thai with Thai people at all. I didn't really do that until I came to Thailand. And when I did arrive, I thought 'boy' what had I learned???? But, soon enough it all started to fall into place.

Listening is the best key to learning and the best step towards speaking I think. Many people concentrate too much on speaking, but I really think that listening to what is being said will help you much more and give you an idea of how to use the language. Thai soapies were good for me. My teacher had lent me a video of some soapie and I'd watched it from time to time. They are so over-dramatic and often the context is so overt that it's impossible to not pick up the meaning of some of the phrases.

I know not everyone has the patience or the time, but being able to read and write gives you a much better understanding of the language and its usage. I would recommend this.

Cheers,

Dan

Hi Dan, LuckyFarang,

thanks for the info. Just came across a book and tapes Thai for beginners by Benjawan Becker.

Seems this is a good combination for me.

It starts with some words and sentences followed by writing and reading after ezch lesson.

Think this will work.

I learned like Luckyfarang, that is, without knowing how to read and write. This is slowing up my learning at this point so I'm backtracking now.

I started, believe it or not, with a phrase book. Simply found about 20-30 phrases that suited certain situations. Studied the phrasebook carefully to decipher which words meant what. Frequently asked Thai native speakers to say the phrase so I'd hear the correct way to say it.

I too have the first Becker book and it is excellent. Also, Thai for Lovers (Jack & Nit Agee?) has a lot of good information if the reason your learning is to speak with girls.

Finally, my day to day learning of new words usually comes from the little English-Thai dictionary I have with transliterations. Just look up the word and and it to your vocabulary. Consulting the long-haired dictionary is sometimes necessary to get the nuance of pronunciation right.

BTW. The thing I hate about transliteration schemes is they're all different. So you need to learn a new one for each book you pick up.

Now I am watching a lot of Thai TV and yes the soaps are excellent because you can indeed derive the text from the context. And the girls are pretty hot too.

So for me, a combination of the methods seems to work.

quote:

Originally posted by Lamock Chokaprret:

Now I am watching a lot of Thai TV and yes the soaps are excellent because you can indeed derive the text from the context. And the girls are pretty hot too.

So for me, a combination of the methods seems to work.

Lamock, you have to agree though that the music on Mae Mod Yod Yung is pretty infuriating.

Back to the thread, I used the Diplomats Language Course, 20 Tapes and study book. The first 4 tapes are Phonetics (tones), and it is well worth studying the phonetics before you even attempt to go any further, it must have taken me 5-6 weeks, couple of hours a day to get my ears "tuned". The way I got my stupid head around the tones, was to think of it as three tones and not five, as everyone tells you. Low, Middle and High, Low Rising and High Falling are just combinations of these, once I had overcome that I was off and running.

As for reading/writing, my ex-wife taught me using my son's school books, so my skills are the same as any 7 year olds.

If I was to start learning the language now, and I know a lot of people will endorse this, it is better to combine verbal and written Thai together, rather than just concentrating on the verbal.

Good luck with your studies Ron, even a little knowledge of the Thai language makes the experience of this country so much better

Ron,

I've been trying to learn the language and agree with most here about listening to it 1st. As it is very tonal you can be making big mistakes and not knowing it. I have 3 books and a cd-rom.

Lonely Plant Phrase book which is quite good because of the thai script in it. You might not say it right but if you point and ask her she'll give you the correct pronunciation.

Thai-english / English-thai by James Higbie okay but no thai script.

Teach yourself thai a complete course for beginners by David Smyth. This reading, writing and speaking and comes with a tape with all the correct ways to say things.

Learn thai by Eurotalk cd-rom, this is surprising good but only the very basics and after a week or 2 have done the full course.

I have been trying to learn thai for 4 months now but i have been working with a few thai guys. This helped me even more as they were telling me where i was going wrong but somethings get mixed up between the books. All bought from Amazon.

Hope this helps

mitch laugh.gif" border="0

mai me ban haa

Archived