"To khrap or not to khrap"

Pescator

When I first started learning thai I was taught to end my sentences with khrap unless I was speaking to a child or servant etc. All guide books and language courses put strong emphazis on this.

However, in real life I actually seldom get to hear the "khrap" in use regardsless of I start my initial sentenses with Khrap at the end.

Now I do admit that the people I am among in Thailand are what we in my language call the "salt of the earth". In other words not the best educated ones. Usually I find that they make much more fun.

Once I notice that they do not reply with using Khrap/Kha resp. I too give it up right away. I would say though that thai females are more likely to return my Khrap than are thai males.

Do you have similar experiences or do your general appearance simply compel so much respect that they would not dare to omit the Khrap/Kha? cool.gif" border="0

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A great question!

I'm thinking you will never go wrong using it, as it is a formality that when speaking to someone, you are respecting them, but my real question is how exactly is this pronounced? Crap, Cop, crop, cup,??? I do know that you are supposed to keep your lips closed after pronoucing, as opposed to an open winded accentuation of the last sound (ie. if correct pronounciation is crap, you don't let any air escape after the 'p'). I've been led to believe that you say it in a 'stiletto' style, where as soon as you utter the 'p' sound, you don't expell any air, and keep your lips closed. Is this correct?

This is probably the most common word I will be required to speak, so want to get it right. Any help will be appreciated...

From what I have gathered, friends use it seldomly, if at all. It is used with people you don't know well or when you wish to show extra respect or politeness. I wait until a person is comfortable enough to drop the "kha" themselves and follow suit in conversation after that (never the initiator). My use of the leading Phom/Khun doesn't change as it is so natural to use, mapping well to English grammar.

quote:

Originally posted by Good Thai Girl:

Pleass use the owrd "Krap" regardless. It shows that you are nice and polite. It's better to overly polite than being considered a bad farang.

Me too use the word Kaa to waitresses. Didn't hurt or cost anything.

It is my impression that females are most likely to reply with Kaa, also when talking to waitresses etc. However, from my experience anyway most men will in this situation not.

As you say it doesn`t hurt or cost anything and you are absolutely correct.

On the other side I do feel a little bit ridiculous if I use this polite article and my counterpart doesn`t. I would accept it if it was my superior but among what I consider equals, I drop the "Krap" right away if they do not return it. Even at the risk of being considered a rude farang.

After all if I start off with being nice and polite I feel I should have it in return too, if you see my point.

I actually find it easier to say the more polite "na khrap".

I never try the super-polite "kraphom" though - I've heard it sounds funny coming from a foreigner.

The "a" sound in "khrap" is simply a shorter version of the "r" sound that a doctor asks you to make when he examines your tongue. Some people write it as "crap", others as "crup", etc, but that's the sound. You should say it in a higher than normal tone, but short and crisply. (I still can't do it right.)

Archived