"To khrap or not to khrap"

Pescator

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gahhh, I run into all these farangs who pronounce it like crap, as in taking a crap, or the guy invented the western toilet, Mr. Crapper.

I know one guy who is taking one of the "touted" language courses for over a month pronouncing it as crap with the a sound just like the word lap.

Now, if he can only combine this with waii'ing the hello girl then we can keep the thai in stitches. What I wouldn't pay for him to step into a place, wai the girl holding the curtain, and say, "Cap can crap," and for the girl to say, "Yes, Cap can crap, but in the toilet please."

<<burp>>

quote:

Originally posted by SanukBoot:

Another you may here from Thai females is "jaa".....They sometimes use this to replace Kha....

Sanukboot.

Yes, and when they pronounce for instance your name and "jaaaaa" with a prolonged rising tone it begins to get interesting. wink.gif" border="0

I`ve also heard men use a short "Na Ha" as a replacement for Khrap, but not so often.

Hi,

I don't use 'khrap' all that often, certainly not during long conversations. I do however tend to reply using 'khrap' when called or confirming a question. I do this regardless of who I am talking to.

When talking to my wife, or other women I am fairly close to (like her friends, girls at the office, etc.) I tend to use 'ja' a lot as well. Same use as 'khrap' (i.e. mostly replying only).

Sanuk!

After talking to a Thai friend of mine who is actually a teacher of Thai language at Thammasart University, he told me that the correct way to say "khrap" is DEFINITELY pronouncing the "R" in it... i.e. "Khrap" , NOT "Khup". He said that laziness has just made people say "khup" instead and it is universally accepted, but "khrup" is more correct. Also, in the north of Thailand, you will her females say "jao" instead of "ka". This is the northern Thai dialect. Hope this helps.

Hi,

I know that the correct pronounciation has the 'r' in it, just like it is 'rooy' and not 'looy', 'roon' and not 'loon', etc.

However, the average person on the street does not pronounce those r's and since this is the group most of us will be talking to, I tend to adapt.

Normal spoken language isn't always identical to the 'official' language.

Sanuk!

quote:

Originally posted by Khun Sanuk:

Hi,

When talking to my wife, or other women I am fairly close to (like her friends, girls at the office, etc.) I tend to use 'ja' a lot as well. Same use as 'khrap' (i.e. mostly replying only).

Sanuk!

It is not the same use as "khrap" using "ja" will make you sound effeminate.

I too had picked up that word from listening to people talking (women) but when I started using it, I was told by my wife I`d better not unless I wanted to sound like a gay.

"Khrap" is as you say a good way of answering yes to a question or of showing your appreciation of what someone is saying.

Hi,

"It is not the same use as "khrap" using "ja" will make you sound effeminate.

I too had picked up that word from listening to people talking (women) but when I started using it, I was told by my wife I`d better not unless I wanted to sound like a gay."

Sorry, but I disagree. If used with a guy then yes, it will make you sound like a gay. However, when using it with women (you are close to) it is perfectly OK.

Sanuk!

quote:

Originally posted by Khun Sanuk:

Hi,

"It is not the same use as "khrap" using "ja" will make you sound effeminate.

I too had picked up that word from listening to people talking (women) but when I started using it, I was told by my wife I`d better not unless I wanted to sound like a gay."

Sorry, but I disagree. If used with a guy then yes, it will make you sound like a gay. However, when using it with women (you are close to) it is perfectly OK.

Sanuk!

All right. However, when I was using this word I was adressing one of our female friends and was corrected. It happened several years ago but I still recall it and I`ve never used it since, except when talking jokingly to my wife.

Have you noticed that when you have somebody correct your thai you can be sure that you`ll never forget. This is actually a great way of learning.

Incidentally I`ve never heard a thai guy use it when adressing women.

But then again I haven`t seen/heard it all yet smile.gif" border="0

Archived