Sydney riots

gobbledonk

Prosal said:
chuckwoww said:

Like what happened in France and could easily happen again in LA or the UK. T.

What happened in France had NOTHING to do with racism, xenophobia or religious beliefs/belongings ; it was 'only' economic and social despair.

Sorry Prosal. I know what the prevailing wisdom is on the French riots. And I know economic deprivation was definitely a major factor. But when you say "What happened in France had NOTHING to do with racism, xenophobia or religious beliefs/belongings" you are deluding yourself and doing your case no good.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't buy the right wing populist CRAP pointing the "evil muslims", "evil blacks" or "evil migrants" during the incidents in France. It was ONLY frustrated teenagers, of ALL colors, ALL origins and ALL religious belongings in revolt against their social exclusion.

Period.

Prosal said:

I just don't buy the right wing populist CRAP pointing the "evil muslims", "evil blacks" or "evil migrants" during the incidents in France. It was ONLY frustrated teenagers, of ALL colors, ALL origins and ALL religious belongings in revolt against their social exclusion.

Period.

I don't buy it either. But don't try to tell me there is no racism in France. The right wing populist CRAP is evidence of that. It is precisely because of the CRAP that young muslims feel excluded and it runs very deep. And I don't think French muslims are entirely blameless. Je parle francais et j'ai vue quelques blogs. The issue is as much cultural integration as economics.

And if you want to blame everything on teenage frustration perhaps that would explain the Sydney riots?

By the way....how are things in places like Argenteuil now? Have they got it off their chests or could it happen again?

chuckwoww said:

And if you want to blame everything on teenage frustration perhaps that would explain the Sydney riots?

I don't think so ; I find the outcome of those riots ?very French?. French do have a tendency for revolting, the famous French penchant for rebellion.

I don't know shit about Sydney and won't give an opinion as it should be through the most stereotypical lens possible. The same lens some guys have here when they talk about France.

::

Prosal said:
chuckwoww said:

I don't think so ; I find the outcome of those riot ?very French?. Judging from history the French do have a tendency for revolting in that manner.

The famous French penchant for rebellion.

I agree. But this was a little more than 'Liberty defending the barricades'. I won't bore anybody with a list of blogs or rap lyrics but those young people were being incited by people with a broader agenda.

Incidentally I think the French authorities handled it all quite well.

Prosal said:
chuckwoww said:

Incidentally I think the French authorities handled it all quite well.

Right. There's a French political tradition of appeasement.

Well some would call it diplomacy. But what was the alternative? Sarkozy?

The Oz government is facing the same kind of choices.

" But what was the alternative? Sarkozy? "

Sarkozy stirs up xenophobia, prejudice, conflict and intolerance and creates only "us and them? situations.

The reality is that a reasonable level of integration can only be achieved with resolving society?s economic and educational inequality.

If a descent level of education and standard of living was made ?mandatory? to all of society, reactions to injustice would be different.

Prosal said:

The reality IMO is that a reasonable level of integration can only be achieved with resolving society?s economic and educational inequality.

If a descent level of education and standard of living was made ?mandatory? to all of society, reactions to injustice would be different.

Hmmm. My fault for mentioning France I guess but I think you are getting off topic. Equal opportunity? An end to social injustice? What has that got to do with a bunch of drunks fighting over a strip of beach? :)

Archived