Arthritis!

bangkokbutcher

Right, here I am, 34 years old and I've recently found out that the pain i've been getting in my right leg has turned out to be arthritis.

So far I found it pretty hard to accept, considering my age, that osteoarthritis could have found it's way into my hip and knee, but that's for me to deal with.

Now onto the solutions I have been offered:

1. Live with it on a course of horse tranquilisers (which didn't sound too appealing)

2. Have the op from hell, otherwise known as hip resurfacing (details here: http://www.midmedtec.co.uk/hip_resurfacing.htm)

I have chosen the 2nd option (going in on the 19th Jan), but I'm still rather concerned at the lack of available data that around at the moment.

The 1st operation got carried out around 10-11 years ago as an alternative to a full hip replacement, which isn't recommended for 'younger' patients, like myself, because of the durability of the prothesis, and I would probably be going in and out every 4 years for another replacement.

They cannot do anything at all for my knee at this time, but it's not too much of a major problem at the mo, so i'll live with that.

The reason for my post is to see if any of you guys have had or heard anything about this hip resurfacing op, whether good or bad and more importantly, does it last?? (I really dont relish the thought of having to go back in for a rebuild every few years).

My consultant seems to think it will solve pretty much all of my problems, but considering the price (13,700 GBP - thankfully i've got insurance as they dont offer this op on the NHS) I'm thinking that it will solve more of his problems then mine :( , but he was still unable to confirm how long it will last, due to the newness of this treatment...

All comments appreciated peeps :)

EDIT - just realised I should have posted this in health, sorry :o, mods please move if necessary

'Right, here I am, 34 years old'

sounds like you have senile dementia as well,34..........i'm still laughing......... :rotfl:

fancy forgetting your true age and looking like it as well........ :shakehead

but seriously i hope all goes well and after your busy Xmas Period and Op then let's hope we can have a Beer again sometime..........

good to see that you have come out of the woodwork and started to visit the Board again.

BTW i have a brace of Pheasant and a Duck for Xmas........ :xmascheer

none of that boring crap you sell............. :doah:

but as i said,i hope all goes well for you and keep in touch with your Friends........... :beer:

No direct experience but if they can't tell you how long it's expected to last for, then it sounds like it may not just be new but possibly experimental.

If your pain isn't that bad, then may be worth considering short term painkillers and rest whilst starting a joint supporting supplement such as glucosamine.

If doesn't help then can go to surgery after.

Is hip replacement not an option if it's that bad???

Sui_lo

13,700 bloody quid!Fuck a duck!

I'll be like buying a brand new set of tyres to drive an old banger down the scrapyard!:cover::snowlaugh

And what with having "dry ball joints" as well ::

Mind you,with my latest round of dental surgery,even Sayjann wil have more teeth than me once they've finished :(.

sayjann said:

sounds like you have senile dementia as well,34..........i'm still laughing......... :rotfl:

fancy forgetting your true age and looking like it as well........ :shakehead:

I am 34 years old sayjann, perhaps it's you with the senile dementia setting in or perhaps you just have me mixed up with one of the others :o

sayjann said:but seriously i hope all goes well and after your busy Xmas Period and Op then let's hope we can have a Beer again sometime..........

good to see that you have come out of the woodwork and started to visit the Board again.

Thanks for the wellwishes mate, and yep, gimme a shout when you're free, we'll hook up for a beer no problems.

I never did stop visiting the board, it was just a case of having my posting time seriously cut back :(

sayjann said:BTW i have a brace of Pheasant and a Duck for Xmas........ :xmascheer

none of that boring crap you sell............. :doah:

Have fun removing the buckshot from your teeth sayjann ::

sui_lo said:

No direct experience but if they can't tell you how long it's expected to last for, then it sounds like it may not just be new but possibly experimental.

If your pain isn't that bad, then may be worth considering short term painkillers and rest whilst starting a joint supporting supplement such as glucosamine.

If doesn't help then can go to surgery after.

Is hip replacement not an option if it's that bad???

Sui_lo

Thanks for the reply Sui_lo, I do think that you are right, it is still in it's experimental stage (and I really dont relish the thought of being a guinea pig), although they do know it's lasts pretty well for 10 or so years, but after that, who knows, although I was told that the biggest concern, is that noone knows if any damage can be caused by having a half a kilo of chromium inside the body long term.

The pain I am suffering from varies dramatically in severity, from almost nothing, to unbearable (funnily enough on my last visit to los back in may, it was 95% unnoticable, except for maybe a dull ache - perhaps moving to los would be my best cure for the pain, but finances restrict it from being an option at this stage).

Anyhow I am already on a course of mild pain killers (ibuprofen) and i'm taking 8 of those a day, they do help a little, but the biggest problem I face, is my job, I am a butcher, which involves working in the cold, lifting heavy weights etc etc, none of which I am sure does it any good, but it's just too late for me to try and find a new career path without causing too much havock financially.

As for glucosamine, does this really help the cartlidge growth/restoration? I can get this no problems locally, and have read into it a little, but never really persued it. Perhaps it would help, I have no idea...

Finally, I could go along the full hip replacement route, but I would without a doubt be going back in every 3 to 4 years for a replacement, mainly due to the fact that I am still fairly young and pretty active, full replacements were really designed for the elderley generation to help give them a bit more mobility, not for someone that still like to do 10 mile bike rides..

Thanks for your thoughts though, they are appreciated :)

Guest lazyphil

I'm 34 and found a hair growing out of my ear the other day, I remember seeing my grand dad with such things, I removed it, so far none came back but its a worry.

Good luck with your situation though.

bangkokbutcher said:

Finally, I could go along the full hip replacement route, but I would without a doubt be going back in every 3 to 4 years for a replacement, mainly due to the fact that I am still fairly young and pretty active, full replacements were really designed for the elderley generation to help give them a bit more mobility, not for someone that still like to do 10 mile bike rides..

Thanks for your thoughts though, they are appreciated :)

I think replacements last a lot longer than 3-4 years, 15 surely? A bloke at work had both done 10 years ago and his are still OK. He did have to retire though due to reduced mobility, could no longer climb up onto printing press. He put it off until over 50. I wonder how much Bumrungrad charge?

Archived