Arthritis!

bangkokbutcher

lazyphil said:depending on usage

You got it in one LP, new hips will without a doubt last for longer than 4 years, but they may not be strong or durable enough for someone my age to accomodate.

They work very well for people whose activity levels are slowing up, but not so well for people who still have a pretty active lifestyle, hence the reasoning behind the expected lifespan of them if i was to get one fitted.

Thanks for the words of support chaps :)

Butcher hope you end up with a good solution.

If however things should go pearshaped with your UK insurance etc. I'd thoroughly recommend a thai hospital like BNH as much better value than UK :)

My father had hip replacement recently & it seems to work fine he've been skiing & all since & its generally been a huge improvement. Of course he's older, but not totally immobile yet :)

Still I can't really recommend you what to do apart from perhaps talking to a few other doctors, hospitals about what they recommend & weight the pro & cons.

Definitely going on painkillers as more than short term solution is not to be recommended - pints or scotch would be better ;)

Think you're right about the work not helping - most people I know feel it worse in the cold...

Is a bit extreme admittedly though to move from UK and change job unfortunately...

Can you cut out the exercise for a few months?

Got a few rugby mates with similar prob who missed a season and now play occasionally rather than week in week out - not ideal but keeps the hand in (so to speak).

But we live in far warmer climes than UK...

Also - any foods that seem to be worse for you. My old man finds dairy products and bananas seem to make him worse so has cut them out.

Also, everyone I know finds they're worse after a sesh, but thy'd all rather suffer the next day than cut the booze out!! Might just be that they think they're Michael Flatley after a few...

Glucosamine - no real first hand experience but have just started parents on it. Some people seem to swear by it, others feel it made no difference.

My main experience has been its use in dogs where I think it has helped in some pets...

May also be worth looking at copper bracelets (rugby mate used and liked, old man thought waste of time), chondroitin, green-lipped mussels, shark cartilage etc.

They may work for some and not for others.

Personally, have a slight mistrust of any surgery that isn't curative and likely will need regular repeats especially if there are other options as yet unexplored. Can always do later especially if hoping to be fully active again - sounds like the surgery options won't gve you that...

Best of luck.

Sui_lo

Archived