SAFARI - Saphiriver

Nervous_Dog

I went to "Safari World", or as DarLek pronounces it, Saphiriver.

In order to make the most of it, I'd strongly suggest getting there in time for the first show, Sea Lion at 10.40.

iit opens at 9am, and is about 45 minutes, somewhere between 200 and 300 baht from the centre of town.

Unlike most theme parks, once you pay, all the shows inside are free, you just pay for food, or to sit on or with a animal.

There are two things here, safari world, and Marine World.

We bought tickets to both, but never made it to the Safari park, which is like a open zoo apparently.

There are two prices as usual, one in Englis, 700 baht for both, and one in Thai, at I think 390 for both.

I stood beside DarLek while she bought 3 thai tickets, the lady questioned her about me, I pulled out my Thai Free Health care card and I paid local prices, so make sure you get your thai half here to buy tckets.

Even at 700 baht, it would be good value.

As I said, first show is Sea Lion, 10.40, we missed it, and saw it at 3.30, and a good funny kids show.

Next is the Cowboy Stunt show at 11.40.

this was the first show we saw, and dam good!

I thought it had finished about 15 inutes into it, but like all the shows they go for 1/2 hour a bit above and below.

Very funny, LOTS of explosions, fast horses, bigs, and even a near naked maiden!

Lunch is not expensive, about double what you pay in a food ccourt, but thats still way under 100 baht per person, I had chicken rice, big serve, 45 baht,

Water is cheap, drink lots, it was cool today, they hhave those water mist systems that spray god knows what water into the air everywhere, but it also has LOTS of tress, amazing how cool that makes things.

Kangaroo's are there, along with lots of birds, some cute oragnatans, sadly no rocket propelled grenade launchers.

At noon is a very sexy dance show, I'll post some pics in my gallery soon so you can se them, NICE!

1.30 is the dolphin whale show. Yes, whale!

They have some Baluga whales there, only Japan and Thailand do this, don;t get me started!

Was very good and verry profffessional. That was followed by the 2.30 "Spy War" a James Bond themed show, complete with Cammandos falling into the area, jet skies, huge explosions and a pretty bikini girl.

We didn;t get time to see the bird show, and the only shows that are repeated are the stunt, sea lion and bird shows.

Miss the others and you miss them!

We also enjoyed the Polar Bears, two of them.

now while a lot of this sounds cruel, it is a LOT nicer than the Bangkok Zoo, and many exhibits are in semi open.

The Polar Bear enclosure is actually bigger than the Singaproe Zoo version, which is saying something.

Highlight for me was a toss a ball at a dunking machine, hit the target and another bikini girl falls into the water.

Took me 5 balls, but I got her!

DOG

Nervous_Dog said:...

now while a lot of this sounds cruel, it is a LOT nicer than the Bangkok Zoo, and many exhibits are in semi open.

The Polar Bear enclosure is actually bigger than the Singaproe Zoo version, which is saying something.

Highlight for me was a toss a ball at a dunking machine, hit the target and another bikini girl falls into the water.

Took me 5 balls, but I got her!

DOG

I did a search so I could get location and some more info, so that maybe I could go there tomorrow or next week with some friends and some TGs. What I got was very disheartening and might make some avoid this park.

First this , from August 2004, then this, from October, 2004, then this, from November last year. One would think (usually a mistake in Thailand), that perhaps this disgusting problem had been dealt with by now. But, no, most of the animals have "died", the generals in charge of things continue to delay (and profit) and Thailand once again pays lip service to a true problem. This is an article followup done last month. This followup is brief- if you care (not you personally, ND), check out some of the first three links for the usual announcements by officials, investigations, promises, blah blah woof woof. It is difficult to see giving these scum more baht.

Now, using your balls to get some bikini-clad babe all wet- now that's entertainment! :)

What is happening with the Orangutans at Safari World?

Written by Jim Helmer

Monday, 28 November 2005

Safari World 1

November 2005: Bangkok, Thailand

Safari World 2For over two years now Safari World, a safari park in Bangkok, has been at the center of an international scandal because it holds up to 147 orangutans, many of whom were obtained illegally from the wild in Borneo and Sumatra. The park has been using these orangutans for commercial entertainment in 'kick-boxing' shows.

Safari World 4Local investigations, DNA testing, and the fact that Safari World had no permits for the orangutans have clearly shown that many of these orangutans were obtained illegally and should be returned to Indonesia, their country of origin. Despite these findings, nothing has been done to right these wrongs.

The owner of Safari World, Pin Kiewkacha, has not to date been jailed or even officially charged for his crimes in the illegal wildlife trade. Up to fifteen of the orangutans at Safari World have reportedly died during the two years since their plight was discovered and an unknown number have been quietly moved off the Safari World site.

Safari World 5With all the media attention on the Safari World orangutans, one would think the Thai government would have acted by now to resolve the issue of releasing orangutans that are clearly being held illegally. In fact, given the major damage done to Thailand's reputation by Safari World's blatant breach of CITES regulations, one would think that the government of Thailand would give this repatriation high priority. Such does not seem to be the case.

None of these orangutans have been repatriated and campaigns for their release are still active.

On a recent trip to Thailand I visited Safari World to see if I could obtain any additional information to help this situation.

On arriving I introduced myself and asked if a visit to view the orangutans could be arranged. Quickly it was obvious I was not going to be allowed to do so and was told the exhibit was closed and that Safari World had no orangutans for me to see.

Safari World 3At the entrance to the orangutan show area, a sign was posted stating 'orang utan show is temporarily closed'. All entrances to the stage were blocked with huge signs and barriers. I asked again to see the orangutans but was repeatedly turned down by various staff rangers. My inquiries fell on deaf ears; I was given no information about the orangutans on site. I later entered behind the stage area and found no signs that renovations were taking place, as some of the signs claimed. The boxing gloves used in the show still lay on stage. So the orangutan 'kick-boxing' show has been closed for now, because of the negative attention it has attracted, but Safari Park's signs state that preparations for a 'new' show are underway.

Looking around further brought me to a restricted area with several cages, where I counted 36 orangutans in all including a large male. Most cages held more than one orangutan. Later, in yet another area, I discovered two very young orangutans in a separate cage. These two were sitting in total darkness, clutching each other, and looked no more than two years old from what I could tell. I did not find any other orangutans on site during my visit.

Safari World 6This situation must not be ignored and pressure on the Thai government for the repatriation of the illegally held orangutans must continue. Attention must also be kept on Safari World's orangutan 'kick-boxing' show to ensure that it does not simply resurface as a commercial attraction. Many of the orangutans at Safari World do not belong to Safari World or to Thailand. They belong in the forests of Indonesia, from which they were stolen.

How much longer will the Thai government ignore this situation?

Please do whatever you can to help these orangutans regain their freedom.

Jim Helmer, Director, BOS Canada

www.boscanada@gmail.com

All images attached taken at Safari World zoo in October 2005, J. Helmer

Last Updated ( Thursday, 01 December 2005 )

Guest lazyphil

<<Safari World 2For over two years now Safari World, a safari park in Bangkok, has been at the center of an international scandal because it holds up to 147 orangutans, many of whom were obtained illegally from the wild in Borneo and Sumatra. The park has been using these orangutans for commercial entertainment in 'kick-boxing' shows.>>

I'll save my pennies and patronise places like here (oops, its not in LOS, solly!!) rather than another Thai show of animal cruelty, they (greedy, selfish and plain thoughtless business persons) really have an arrogant cavilier attitude towards animal treatment, quite shamefull :(

Nervous_Dog said:

Given I found the two orangatans in no time, on display with their mother, and didn;t see any cruelty, in fact better surroundings than Bangkok Zoo I still like the place.

DOG

Again, what I say below is not meant to cast any aspersions on you ND. :)

BTW, I do not think that zoos are inherently evil. As with prisoners and POWs, I do believe, however, that there are proper procedures to follow. Of course, these orangutans just may be "illegal combatants", in which case, anything goes! :p

1. Orangutans are not native to Thailand.

2. It is illegal under international treaties (CITES) to trade in orangutans.

3. Thailand actually hosted the annual worldwide CITES convention last year. Hard to plead stupidity/ignorance, although those can often be a plausible explanation in these parts.(prices at Chatachuk for illegally traded animals increased temporarily during the CITES conference!)

4. Safari Park had 42-115 (?) juvenile orangutans last year. NO ADULTS. Therefore, they were not born at the zoo, as the owners claim.

5. The original juveniles were scheduled for DNA analysis, but died/disappeared before that could be done. (No surprise- this also happens to lawyers for Muslims, newspaper reporters, pesky farang, recalcitrant politicians, etc. What's a few monkeys?)

Now you say there are 2 new juveniles and an adult? Where the fuck did these come from (see #1 and #2 above)?

Guest lazyphil

ND please forgive me for ranting at what was a nice storey of your lovely little girl at the park--was no place for a rant regardless of how much stuff like this upsets me :o

Good story ND,

Will take my kids there next time I'm in BKK with them.

Next on your schedule should be the Siam Ocean World at Siam Paragon, really worthwhile.

Was there yesterday (Sat 17 dec 05) and it was packed to the rafters, a combination of being brand new and saterdays I guess.

They had a good collection of fishies and I'm sure Jing Joe will enjoy it, not to mention Darlek and yourself.

Entrance fee 450,-B, it seemed to be one fee only.

ND,

You should not have passed on the drive through safari park. You can ride on a bus or better yet, hire a taxi so you can drive through at your own pace. Paid the driver 200B when I did this about 5 years ago, took about 30 minutes. Tons of mostly African animals wandering about (I saw many more animals than at the safari at Disney's Animal Kingdom in Orlando). The highlight of our drive was watching the lions fucking! First time ever I think I seen a male lion that wasn't sleeping! I guess that's not a bad life.....sleeping and fucking :).

Enjoyed the shows as well (which don't sound like they have been updated much in 5 years), except it was really, really hot (was there in July, I think).

Ranger

Archived