Brutal killing of Dane in Cha-am.

chuckwoww

yes, but you also notice that most of the time its old men who are targeted. older people cant defend themselves like younger people can and they dont scare anyone off from attacking them. if you are young then theres always that doubt in the attackers mind whether you know how to handle yourself or not and this can offend dissuade violence especially if you throw their attitude back at them without fear...IMHO

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

This is really disturbing news for the death for such small stuff. What disturbes me more is it is called [color:"blue"] Four Thai men aged 28-36 are now arrested and charged with non-intentional violence causing death after turning themselves in to the Cha-Am police Thursday afternoon. [/color] In credible!

Jasmine ::

yes, but you also notice that most of the time its old men who are targeted. older people cant defend themselves like younger people can and they dont scare anyone off from attacking them.
Yes, and usually in groups where they out number the farang (s) and often in response to something rather trivial.

I don't see this as an anti-Farang thing, but more a reflection of the level of violence in Thailand. When you look at Thailand's own statistics - which its more credible officials say under report the problem - Thailand is substantially more violent than the US. We went through this before on this board by comparing murder statistics in the US and Thailand. And this report demonstrates how the authorities selectively define "murder".

Many visitors - and some who haven't lived here long enough to understand Thailand - don't appreciate the potential for extreme violence here. Thailand can be very very dangerous.

Chuck,

What I can't understand is why the hell the Dane went back outside to "talk' with the neighbor guy after already seeing he was a mental violent asshole! I'd have just waited for the police to arrive. It sounds like he was living next to a gang member, his 'new' neighbor. Also it looks like the reporter may have worded the 'charges' wrongly. Likely should say 'violence causing non-intentional death'. But beating an old guy with steel pipes is assualt with a deadly weapon, not mere assault with fists, and should be considered by any prosecutor with any sense to be a murder charge.

These things seem to on the rise lately, or being reported more. Very disturbing.

Cent

Cent...you know how it is with these things. We never get the whole story or it gets garbled in the telling. I don't think there's any doubt the guy got beaten to death over something pretty trivial. If the victim wasn't a falang we wouldn't even be talking about it.

Actually I'm thinking somebody doesn't really want these stories widely reported. I've only seen the story on www.scandasia.com. not exactly a major media outlet.

Some stupid fuckheads around... the guys keep on beating another so bad he dies and while doing it can't see further escape than going to the police station... than it's said more of their friends showed up after the beatings, arguably to give him some more. No matter what happened earlier, jail is the perfect house for a bunch of brainless fuckers around, or just tie them up in a factory chain before they get to play with iron pipes

Or is it usually easy to get away with such a treatment in Thailand??

Agree BTW, very disturbing

Chuck,

"If the victim wasn't a falang we wouldn't even be talking about it."

Exactly true. What I find disturbing is that a few of these reports the past couple of years are not taking place in the P4P areas of BKK and Pattaya, but in the neighborhoods where the farang lives outside these places far from the tourist areas and bars. I myself have seen a huge influx of farangs the past few years here in Surin. Where 5 years ago I could go for weeks to a month without seeing another farang (maybe one or two) I saw at least five just driving to the new Surin Majestic Hotel to meet up with Dum Soda last night, and I live just a klic or so from the place. There are many farang here now. We went to the Farang Connection Pub here in Surin last night to chat over a few beers and there were quite a few farang in this place, more than I've seen in one place in Surin so far living here. (Nice place Martyn runs there BTW. Great selection of farang beers from the UK, Germany, US, Holland [nice cold bottled Grolsch!] and some excellent foods as well.) I guess it just stands to reason the more farang who decide to live here the more chances there are of hearing about them running into problems. The violence though from the Thai end seems so totally out of proportion in response to the 'offense' caused. After reading the article your link provided I was amazed at the number of Thais that became involved in this simple matter of moving a fucking car so a man could pull out from his driveway. Sounds like a gang thing to me where the one member called his gangbanger buddies. Was the Dane that big and dangerous? They needed 20 guys to wait around to beat him if he came back out the door after three or four gutless assholes beat him with steel pipes?!! Fucking insane. Dog pack mentality here. See it every day among the soi dogs here. Seems these sort of Thai men are no better than the dogs.

Cent

LOS : Land of Smiles

More like the land of repressed emotions.

It can't be fun to live on a few thousand baht per month like most Thai people do. Maybe the cause for more incidents like this is the awareness by the average Thai person as to the impoverished, difficult life they lead. This could be due to the increased availability of the media and awareness of the relative difficulties of their lives.

I live across the street from Lumpinee Park. Last night I intended to go for a walk in Lumpinee Park but the gate was closed. I don't know the names of those involved or the Thai politics but the reason is there is an anti Thai Rak Thai meeting on Friday nights and a fear of violence. Police all over the place.

This was explained to me by one of the 2 security guards for my building. They each work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week and earn perhaps 3 - 6,000 baht a month. At the same time there are several clubs just down the street frequented by Thai movie stars and other wealthy Thais. Lots of BMWs and other expensive cars. How you can work 7 days a week, 12 hours a day for peanuts and not be affected by seeing other Thais with such wealth is beyond me. (both security guards seem very nice but I wonder if they don't have some resentment inside).

So, the flaunted wealth of some Thais compared to the very difficult lives of most Thais and the awareness due to media coverage may be bringing things to a boiling point.

Every day, I see middle age Thai women at 4:30am, pushing their food stalls down the street in preparation of working incredibly hard for 12 hours selling the food they prepare for 20 or 30 baht.

How people could not become bitter with such difficult lives is beyond me.

I am not perfect in this, but I always try to smile and seem friendly. I fear meeting up with some Thai person the day the repressed feelings break out and violence occurs.

Archived