Thai-English and/or English-Thai computer software

Chlp

web page

Is this quote from the website a correct explanation for "Gaw Gai", etc.?

"The ?names? for each letter are from the Thai Dictionary. I take them to be the equivalent of the English ?A is for Apple? etc and are the standard Thai letter names used for learning Thai. You will see that each of these ?names? is preceded by a word ending in AW (Eg for G it reads Gaw Gai ? where Gai is the word for Chicken). I take the ?AW? word to be a cross between the equivalent of ?G is for? (even though it does not actually say this) and just an aid to help remember the letter sound. I figure that if it is good enough to be used in Thailand to teach kids how to read, then it is ok for me to use."

-redwood

I would be interested in any 2nd opinions as well!

I actually just provided the link as it included the websites I had found useful, had forgotten what else I had written! - it was written more as memo to myself and I put it somewhere Bill Gates couldn't fuck up - fortunately. :: ::

If I recall correctly the dictionary I was using was a bit unclear on why the fuck they were using "GAW" (etc etc) in front of every letter............My "expalantion" was just what made sense to me - so I would remember that it was NOT part of the letter itself.

I seem to recall that I have seen this "word" (??) written as "GOR" elsewhere, but I settled on the "AW" sound instead of "OR" because for ME I "read" the sound better (whether this is true or not is a different matter :o).

I have not yet got to the vowels :( :( :(

The nouns are the way Thai kids learn to spell. The reason is the mulitple letters having the same sound -- but effecting the tone rules. Thus there is only one hard G sound, but there are numerous K sounds. So there is Kaw khai (the K used to spell egg), Kaw Khon, Kaw kwai, Kaw rakang (a big temple bell) and so on.

• 3 weeks later...
Chlp said:

I am looking for good computer software dictionary, preferably going both ways between English and Thai. Any suggestions?

The So Sethaputra Thai-English and English-Thai dictionary has been available as a software program for some time. I remember getting it at Panthip Plaza and using it with Windows 95.

This is one of the most used printed dictionaries used here. You'll have to be able to read the Thai script, though.

Well, the handiest is the one for Palm handhelds: the one done by Benjawan Poomsan Becker. Very useful if you've used her books. Her transliteration system is the best, imho. You can download a free evaluation from http://www.paiboonpublishing.com/products/thai_dic_palm/thai_dic_palm.html

21,000 words. Who needs these 400,000 word dictionaries, anyway? Not me. English-Thai, Thai-English, and Phonetic-Thai lookups. I think the "21,000 words" means around 7,000 for each group. And you can of course use your wand to write in the word you're looking for, rather than tap it out. You gotta tap out the Thai script words, though, but it's useful training for learning to type Thai.

The Thai words are in Thai script and Phonetic.

Better than desktop computer and slightly more portable. Check it out.

I've seen it on someone else's Palm and it does look useful .. except I'm not much of a Palm user.

In the meantime I found one. It's titled "English-Thai Software Dictionary," published by MeTeVe, available at Bookazine for B690.

It doesn't say how many words it contains but I'd guess not too many, perhaps around 5,000 - 10,000. Still, I expect it will be a while before I will need a more extensive dictionary.

In the meantime I'm searching for So Sethaputra CD. None of the bookstore I've visited carry it. I'll search for it on my next trip to Panthip.

Thanks for the reminder. I have the printed copy of So Sethaputra back home somewhere, but I found it a lot harder to use than Mary Haas' dictionary.

I checked a few bookstores and they don't carry it, but it can be found at Panthip at the few stores that carry legit software. The latest version is 5.5 and costs B299. The CD title is "Thai Software Dictionary," and "So Sethaputra" is credited in Thai only. The CD comes in the large format (same as movie DVDs in the US) green cover.

I've installed it and try to use it but it is completely counterintuitive. Most of the application control info, including the enclosed booklet, are in Thai.

I expect it's going to take a while before I can use if effectively.

Archived