Any luck getting a hard drive repaired?

cavanami

Greetings.

Sad day on the ranch here...my 300 Gb USB/external hard drive just died.

I tried another USB/external hard drive case/adaptor, but the hard drive only goes, click, click, click about once a second.

I think that it can no longer find its boot sector or the hard drive mechanism is jammed/kaput.

It is a Seagate, 300 Gb, m/n: 8T3300831A, p/n: 9Y7284-511.

Anyone know of a shop/place to get a hard drive repaired? or anyone had success getting a hard drive repaired? in BKK.

There are services that offer to extract the data from a dead hard drive but their prices are like in the 1000's (USD).

Thanks!

Mike

First I would try is to install the damaged HD as seceond HD on another computer and install "Easy Recovery Professional" (it's quite expensive, but you'll find it using emule, eg.). This software is able to recover the data as long as your HD is not too damaged....

Anyway, that's what I did/had to do just recently.

:relieved:

PS: A HD cannot/should not be repaired, just try to extract your data.

Kamui,

I did what you suggested and installed the "bad" HD as the 2nd HD. It worked OK...sooooo...a quick trip to Pan Tip (the PC area here in BKK) and bought a new USB external HD case.

Now working! ::

Thanks and Best Wishes for the New Year!!! (Gutas Neuess)

Mike

I am glad that I could help.

Anyway did you put the old HD in a new case? If you yes, I woud still run "Easy Recovery Prof" for a deep scan. The software does a much better HD scan for disk errors than any Windows. If the disk already makes funny noises or you lost some data already because of bad sectors, just throw it away...

Happy New Year!!! :yay:

Good that you recovered your data. I always say to people who have had a problem with their hard drive "Get a new one ASAP transfer your data and throw the old one away. This time you were lucky. Next time .......

Yes, got a new case. The case now has a little cooling built in to it, so maybe that will save HDs in the future.

I am now running the Western Disigtal Diagnostics. Did some web research and this was was suggested as it works for many HDs besides Western Digital.

Looks to take a long time, as I am running the extended diagnostics.

The SMART diagnostics said all was "OK", but I think better to get a second "opinion" :D

Thanks for the assistance and I have another HD ready to copy the data, as a standby!

Mike

Agree 120% and have another HD ready to copy the data.

With the HDs so reliable now (compared to 10 yrs ago), it is easy to forget about backups.

RAID tech is still a good thing to have around!

Cisco makes a kick-ass network RAID "box", with like four HDs in it, working via ethernet so there is very little chance to lose any data.

Thanks for the reply and help!

Mike

Cavanami,

one very good program to test harddisks is drive fitness test from Hitachi (formerly IBM). Works on about every harddisk. Advanced scan can take a while.

Or go and download Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD). Has lots of features for testing drives, cpu, memory and more.

Archived